Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Surface triangles using Genio Export extension (Civil 2013)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jwebb88
1666 Views, 4 Replies

Exporting Surface triangles using Genio Export extension (Civil 2013)

Hi everybody,

Just wondering whether someone can help me out with the Genio Exporter. I need to export the surface triangles from my job, but the Genio export dialouge box only gives me the option to export suface boundaries.

Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks,

Jeremy

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jwebb88
in reply to: jwebb88

Should also point out that I have tried exporting it with triangles turned on in the Suface Style, have also tried extracting triangles from the surface, and still no luck.

Message 3 of 5
troma

Well, I should point out that I have no idea what Genio is, but I'm going to take a stab at this.

On the other recent thread talking about Genio, it was pointed out that you can export feature lines, not regular lines.  And when you extract triangles, you get 3D faces, not lines.  So here's some steps that might help:

1. Extract the TIN to 3D faces.
  2. Use the region command to create regions from the 3D faces.
  3. Explode the regions to lines.
  4. Convert the lines to feature lines.
  5. Export the feature lines.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 5
jwebb88
in reply to: troma

I realize this is probably no longer useful, but just in case anyone else is looking for a solution to this problem, I ended up using a program called Stringer from a company here in Australia. One of the tools they had in their program was a GENIO exporter, which I found worked better than Civils.

PS. GENIO stands for GENeric Input Output, it's basically just a simple file format designed to work with any bit of software that someone codes support in for.

Message 5 of 5
MikeEvansUK

Genio is (i think) the same logic as the Land xml now is, originally created by Bently for the old program Moss. As back then everything had to be stored in text files instead of a models database.

There are a few varients of files each for different objects. We need a method of exporting Alignments and profiles to Moss / MX roads so we have a Genio file import/export feature for the job, the genio file transfers design strings (featurelines) and alignments/profiles.

If you want to transfer a surface use the tried and tested method of a 3d DXF / DWG containing the trinagles and other elements.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report