Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Civil 3D Points to Shapefile with "Z" Elevation

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
rick_JWMA
3489 Views, 24 Replies

Exporting Civil 3D Points to Shapefile with "Z" Elevation

Using Civil 3D 2013. I've exported my Civil 3D points to an SDF and then to a shapefile. I cant get the "Z" elevation to come with it. Northing and Easting is correct, only problem is that is holds a zero elevation. Any assistance or suggestions on how I can get the elevations to show correctl in the shapefile?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
antoniovinci
in reply to: TerryDotson

TerryDotson wrote:

Also your procedure gives you no point numbers, no descriptions, etc.

If you import the points in a PENZD fashion, everything is kept, either OD data and 3D elevation on the Z axis - check the attachment out.

@ Trogers

I converted your shapefile (EPSG:26910) in KML format (EPSG:900913)  just to "see" in Google Earth.
Well, it brings me in the middle of the Pacific Ocean...
Moreover, why your LAT/LONG columns contain only zero values?

Message 22 of 25
Murph_Map
in reply to: TerryDotson

@TerryDotson wrote:

Simple and no 3rd party ...

Also your procedure gives you no point numbers, no descriptions, etc.

Correct,because the export to dwg turns that into text if they are labled, but if you convert the C3D points to blocks first then export to shp 3D format it will carry the point numbers, desc, etc when you select them (block attributes)  in the export dialog. Converting the points to blocks will let you skip the export to dwg if all you need is the points and elevations.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 23 of 25

@antoniovinci

Yes I am aware of that.  I didn't have the coordinate system until after I had created the file.  I initially created it with no projection.  I just wanted to know if that was the correct format that he was looking for. 

Todd Rogers
Message 24 of 25
roskirko
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

When I ran through the accepted process, the Elevations in the SHP were not there in Infraworks (the 3D Driver for SHP was used for the MAPEXPORT process to convert the 3D SDF to SHP). Also, I did not want to use Infraworks' Drape tool since that would defeat the purpose of this test on the 3D data. So what I did was to create some Object Data when running MAPEXPORT to create the SHP file. Then in Infraworks, that Object Data was used to create and Elevation Offset which cured the issue so that the resulting points were in 3D correctly.

Geographic Information Systems
Fanshawe College
Message 25 of 25
bsilfies
in reply to: Murph_Map

It was a great idea.  You can simplify it even more.  Under the "points" tab you can click "utilities" and then "create blocks from cogo points".  This creates blocks of the points and still keeps your cogo points intact.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report