Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to dwg Format

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lee.carl
529 Views, 6 Replies

Export to dwg Format

Hi all,

I work for a large consulting organisation as a technician/engineer. My team have been working on a large project over the last few months, delivering about 100 drawings created in Civil 3D.

We were unaware until the last day (yes the very last day) that we also had to provide the drawings in dwg format, but the Client only has AutoCAD so we could not simply bind the drawings we have.

Basically we ended up bodging a mixture of e-transmit files and bound exports. This is not an ideal method as it took a few workarounds and the final product delivered to the Client was a folder containing a mixture of data shortcuts, xrefs, design files etc. and they will undoubtedly come back unhappy that there is not just one simple folder with a set of bound dwgs.

This message is less of a question, and more of an intended discussion to gather ideas and methods of producing large amounts of AutoCAD format dwg files from a project created solely in Civil 3D. I have listed below the several options we discussed and trialled along with the various outcomes.

• Export - This would be the preferred method as it is the most straight forward and shoud just create a single file containing all relevant info. However, once everything was exported some of the files would not have certain element visible in the AutoCAD version. For example, volume surfaces would not be visible and legends would disappear etc.
  • E-transmit - This method eventually worked, but wasn't very practical in terms of sending the drawings on to the Client. This is mainly due to a lack of organisational structure within the folders and sub-folders and nothing can be moved without losing the saved paths.
  • DWF - Ideally DWF would be the perfect solution. This has been continuously discussed within our team but needs time in the bigger picture due to contractual reasons. It states that dwg format is required and so dwf would not be feasible. We would be subject to extra fees.
  • Batch Converter - This was working well as a batch binding tool but when we checked the dwgs that had been produced, all the data in model space was moved from world coordinates to 0,0 but the viewports maintained their original settings and so we would have been faced with the task of relocating, rotating and scaling all viewports in every single drawing.

If anyone has any feedback or advice on the matter, please help!

Ragards

Lee

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SethHall
in reply to: lee.carl

Hi Lee-

I apologize if I am misunderstanding, but why not just supply your completed Civil 3D drawings to the client? If they install the Object Enabler on AutoCAD they will be able to see all Civil Objects without issue. Or is your concern more about them being able to edit the final drawings?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 7
ksorsby

Hi Lee,

Civil 3D is in dwg format already.

When we send stuff out, we just explode everything and saveas or just explode the info we need (ie. profile+view, contours etc.), wblock it out and send that. It also fixes data to a moment in time for future reference.

Never had any problems this way since I started using C3D in 2005.

Forget dwf (no-one uses it that we know of) and Batch Converter (more trouble than it's worth as you say). Just explode what you want then bind up and saveas. You can then E-transmit or zip as you like.

Cheers,

Kevin

Message 4 of 7
mathewkol

DWF is a valid format used by many in my circle. I much prefer it to PDF. Certainly don't forget about it.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 7
ksorsby

Interesting. As an aside, I've often wondered about the use of dwf - what sector or field are you in? I maybe get a couple per year as opposed to 20 or 30 pdf/dwgs's per day. I once tried to get one of my clients (a major UK housing developer) to work with it on a job and they flatly refused as 'pdf is understood and used by everyone'.

Cheers,

Kevin

Message 6 of 7
mathewkol
in reply to: ksorsby

I understand the want to stay with PDF and they are correct, they are understood by everyone.  I prefer DWF as they are generally smaller in size and they just are more CAD friendly with various things including use with QTO software.  Not so much with C3D, but with Revit.

I'm in Western Canada in Land Development.  We use DWF for our digital plan storage on our network and for printing.  The folks in these parts seem to be quite fine receiving them.  Though we still do see the I want PDF argument as well.

Also, Windows 7 can read a DWFx natively without any additional installs.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 7
lee.carl

Thanks for the input so far; In reply to a few responses...

Seth - I understand that they could use the object enabler, we have been testing this in our office. The main issue is that the drawings need to be complete as one (i.e. without any x-refs, data shortcuts, etc.) and this seems to be a very drawn out process when dealing with lots of drawings. Whenever we have tried the built in batch processes such as 'export' or 'batch converter' certain elements (mainly volume surfaces or legends) lose their attributes and are no longer visible. Do you see what I mean? Obviously we can't just send them a drawing without the binding process as they will lose their paths, but im sure you're aware of this. Thanks.

ksorsby - I know it is in dwg format already, it is more the fact that elements are not compatible with AutoCAD which is the only software the Client has. This then comes back to the point above about dealing with lots of drawings. The exploding method is another we have tried, but it's just frustrating that we have to use workarounds like this, when the export function should just deal with such problems.

matthewk - It's good to know DWF is more of a common tool in Canada. I'm a big fan of DWF as it maintains much of its workability. We depend a lot on our structural team in the office and a lot of contractual decisions (deliverables in PDF and DWG) get sorted out often before it reaches us. This is fine for structures as they use revit and a simple export works on a whole batch of drawings, job done. It just seems to cause much more trouble for ourselves.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I suppose I have sampled most options available to me. It would be nice for Civil 3D to make the export function much more workable. Hopefully you all know what I mean when I say certain elements seem to get lost in complex models and you simply cannot rely on sending 'x' amount of drawings and them all being in fine working order when they come out in AutoCAD format.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report