Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to KML (C3D IDS 2014)

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
20155 Views, 22 Replies

Export to KML (C3D IDS 2014)

Hi guys, it's been a while.

The new layout and restructuring (?) of the forums has thrown me off a bit, I recall there used to be a sticky post regarding exporting/importing to/from Google Earth but I can't seem to find it, my apologies.

Now I know C3D 2014 no longer supports direct interaction with google earth, however is it still possible to exporting objects to a KML file in native C3D? I currently have the 2014 Infra design suite, and the Help function just shows how to import KML files via the Render Tab.

I've gone around the net and found a few third party (http://www.plexearth.com/ http://rakeshrao.typepad.com/work_smarter_geotools/2013/03/dwg2kml-export-cad-data-to-google-kml-fil... http://acadconverter.chrismichaelis.com/v2012/ among others) on the net, but would you guys have a suggestion on which tool is the best, which do you currently use to do this?

Thanks much for any feedback! 🙂

Tags (2)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
TerryDotson
in reply to: Anonymous

Try the MAPKMLEXP.ZIP in the Free Stuff section of the site below.  It handles most AECC objects (like alignments, etc) and even provides a tool to explode text (and blocks, etc) so it lays on the exported map.

Message 3 of 23
neilyj666
in reply to: TerryDotson

This is the tool I use...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

Good morning Terry,

Wow, that is a lot easier than all the other things I found on the net! Free, simple to use, and no additional bells and whistles that I don't need. Thank you very much for you input.
Message 5 of 23
TerryDotson

Autodesk had began deleting my posts regarding add-ons to plain AutoCAD, therefore we have removed the KML tool.

Message 6 of 23
neilyj666

...which begs the question: why have Autodesk not provided a KML tool?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Yes, I find it an important tool for sharing data. It's also especially useful when in the field, as kml files can be uploaded to GPS units now.

I'm not fully familiar with add-ons (so this question is out of ignorance and not critique), but if there is an ability to create add-on why should it be restricted? Again, I'm not familiar with the legal whatnot of this.
Message 8 of 23
chierchio

I have looked on the site for the Free Stuff page - but I only see 7 items and the map export is not one of them.

Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks

Chris C

Message 9 of 23
neilyj666
in reply to: chierchio

Terry's last post would suggest that this tool has been removed from his website

EESignature

Message 10 of 23
medidaambiental

I do need a working tool to export from AutoCad Civil 3d 2014 to kml. Autodesk shouldn´t disabled ability to plot geomap.
Message 11 of 23
neilyj666
in reply to: medidaambiental

The ability to both export to kml/kmz and plot the geomap are now included in Civil 3D 2015

EESignature

Message 12 of 23
rkmcswain

TerryDotson wrote:

Autodesk had began deleting my posts regarding add-ons to plain AutoCAD, therefore we have removed the KML tool.

@TerryDotson, you said later on 1-26-2014 that you were going to restore the freeware. Did something else happen since then to cause that to not happen? Thanks.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 13 of 23
JMont
in reply to: rkmcswain

Can anyone post a link to the tool here?  Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 23
TerryDotson
in reply to: JMont

Anyone who obtained it when it was available did so under agreement that they would not repost or make it available online.

It was removed because of an annoying level of repeated requests for improvements on the freeware.

Message 15 of 23
rkmcswain

TerryDotson wrote:

It was removed because of an annoying level of repeated requests for improvements on the freeware.

Thanks for the explanation.

Message 16 of 23
rkmcswain

FYI: Export to KML is built into Civil 3D 2015.

Message 17 of 23
lkaliakatsos

Hello,

I just wanted to contribute in the discussion by pointing out the capabilities of Plex.Earth, the software we develop.

Here you can see a KMZ I just created from a dwg in AutoCAD 2015, which shows several of the supported features (except linework, hatches, texts, transparency etc).

http://go.plexscape.com/redirect.aspx?linkid=3000

By the way, I attach another KMZ that shows the capabilities of our new 3D engine, which is not publicly available yet.

http://go.plexscape.com/redirect.aspx?linkid=3001

Specifically regarding the 3D, since we currently use it only internally and by selected users, if you have an interesting 3D project that could be benefited from this new engine and our development get benefited from your project, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Lambros

Message 18 of 23

How can you do it in 2015? I can't seem to find how.
Thanks in advance
Rob
Message 19 of 23

Toolbox > Miscellaneous Utilities > Export KML

2014-09-26 07_52_52.jpg

EESignature

Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

I know this is an older post but wanted to share for those that are still in 14 that you can export a KML file.  Type in EXPORTGOOGLEEARTH at the command promt and it will open a dialog box to save the file.

We just got lucky and found it, no documentation anywhere that we can find.  Looks like it may be a subscription add on???

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report