Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export the Geotechnical modules object to AutoCAD

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
Cadbeyond
1688 Views, 32 Replies

Export the Geotechnical modules object to AutoCAD

It seems that the object was created by the Geotechnical modules.  It cannot be exported to AutoCAD. I tried to use the command "Export or Explode", all object will be disappeared e.g. borehole onto the profile, geologies contour line onto the profile… after clicked the commands.

Anyone knows how to do or any trick can help? Thanks.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: ur_brad

http://issuu.com/augi/docs/aw201205hr?e=1158594/2636620 starting page 54 Creating Geological Surfaces from Probed Depth Values. You will need to create surfaces in a similar way

You can specify the hatches via Profile View Properties - they can be quite complex if you use the Multiple option - see Help

2013-08-22 13_09_43-Profile View Properties - Eastern Leg - Longsection.jpg

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 22 of 33
GaryMorin8439
in reply to: neilyj666

The Geotechnical module will automatically Hatch the profile, however you need to ensure both the top and base surfaces for the geology are created.

You also need to ensure the Hatch with the same name as the geology has been created in the Geotechnical Hatch manager. then when you create a geotechnical profile, you should find the strata is hatched.

As pointed out elsewhere the geotechnical module does no interpretation, it just joins the dots up so to speak. Normally you will edit the surfaces to create lenses, faults etc .we are looking at ways to automate this, including superimposing the ground topology onto the strata surfaces, which we will will hope to make available in another extension.

Message 23 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: GaryMorin8439

As I pointed out in post 16 the major limitation of the module at present is that it only "joins the dots" based on their absloute levels.

I have to manually extract the XYZ for various strata of interest (where Z = depth), create a depth surface, create a volume surface, copy and paste the volume surface to a regular Civil surface and only then do I have a meaningful surface to profile, compute volumes etc etc

I remain unconvinced that merely taking the absolute levels at each hole creates meaningful surfaces other than for grossly distorted visual display purposes (unless of course borehole were drilled every 2 or 3 metres...!!!)

It seems that every time I get involved in a discussion about the Geotech module I'm always very negative but whilst the module is very good at some aspects - especially creating the borehole strips and 3D boreholes - it is still somewhat limited and I suspect that Autodesk will not develop it to the extent required.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 24 of 33
GaryMorin8439

As said to you off-line reating depth related surfaces is something you're looking at doing in the HoleBASE civil extension, and would be of benefit on larger and lienar sites.

One possible workaround, is to edit the CSV or AGS files and change the ground level 0.

Message 25 of 33
neilyj666

Yes that might work - I'll give it a try.

Presumably the module generated surfaces can be added to if there are areas of no coverage especially at the boundaries of a site?

EESignature

Message 26 of 33
neilyj666

I'm not sure how to edit the AGS file but the HOLE file is very easy especially as it doesn't have to be called HOLE.csv anymore...:)

EESignature

Message 27 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: Cadbeyond

Confirmed as an "issue"

Hi Neil,

I can confirm the issue you talk about and have reported it to our development team. 

For now, the only workaround I would see if you need to export this to AutoCAD would be to project the boreholes (3Dsolid) to the profile view, (no use of the geotech module in this case).

Then you can export to AutoCAD and they will appears.
This is the best I can think of right now.

Please let me know if this answer your question or if you need more assistance from my side.
Thanks for your cooperation and have a great day.

Best regards,

EESignature

Message 28 of 33
neilyj666

Whilst possibly straying off topic with this I'm not sure this workaround will work without another workaround.

The levels come in as negative which will RAISE the stratum above ground levels; they need to be positive to LOWER the stratum.

Possibly could use a zero datum surface to produce a volume surface and then paste to new surface to get the levels to be +ve - not tried this yet but will be soon

EESignature

Message 29 of 33
neilyj666

This is exactly what is required - after creating the +ve depths, the volume surface of depths and EGL can be created and copied to create an inferred stratum: quite a few additional steps required to get a reasonable stratum if you hoped the geotech module would produce them for you...:(

EESignature

Message 30 of 33
walshm

Hi Nellyj,

I'm interested in hearing more about your manual workaround to build better subsurface strata/surfaces.

I don't understand setting ground level to 0 in the csv? 

If I have good topo survey (XYZ ground surface) it's much more dense than the sparse borehole info.  even if have xyz coords for boreholes I tried to take elevation from surface (ground surface) to make sure the boreholes line up with the topo ground surface.  does this make any sense?

are you averaging strata depths and adding/subtracting surfaces?

Many thanks,

Matt

Message 31 of 33
GaryMorin8439
in reply to: walshm

Hi

There is an article by Jack Strongitharm on how to create strata surfaces using the borehole information that follow the toposurvey.

http://fromthegroundup.typepad.com/from_the_ground_up/2010/11/creating-geological-surface-layers-fro...

A few steps required but it does work.

Regards

Gary

Message 32 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: walshm

Assuming you had a layer of peat over your site with varying thicknesses you would need to start a new drawing and create a point group with the borehole/trial pit locations as the East/North and the peat/stratum thickness as the Z value (needs to be positive)

Create a surface (Peat Depths) from this point group and add other points as necessary based on site knowledge/judgement to cover the ground survey you have

Shortcut  the original ground topo survey into this drawing

Create a Volume Surface with the Peat Depths as Base and original topo as Comparison - call it VS Inferred Peat Horizon

Create a new surface called Inferred Base of Peat and paste the Volume Surface in - this can now be used as a regular surface for profiles sections etc etc. but check the levels reported at the borehole locations (OG Level less Base of Peat level) with the recorded depths of peat to see if it has worked.

You can also tweak the Peat Depths surface to add areas where the peat may be absent etc and add additional depth data to the surface which will dynamically update the Inferred Base of Peat surface

EESignature

Message 33 of 33
neilyj666

This method advocates using the Borehole locations to build an OGL which may not be accurate

This method works http://civilintentions.blogspot.ie/2012/05/creating-geological-surfaces-from.html

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report