Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Export the Geotechnical modules object to AutoCAD

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
Cadbeyond
1684 Views, 32 Replies

Export the Geotechnical modules object to AutoCAD

It seems that the object was created by the Geotechnical modules.  It cannot be exported to AutoCAD. I tried to use the command "Export or Explode", all object will be disappeared e.g. borehole onto the profile, geologies contour line onto the profileā€¦ after clicked the commands.

Anyone knows how to do or any trick can help? Thanks.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: Cadbeyond

I have sussessfully used Export To Autocad to export boreholes and borehole strips but have never tried with profiles although I don't imagine there would be any issues

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 33
Cadbeyond
in reply to: neilyj666

Yes. The command "export" or "explode" is no use for the borehole strip onto the profiles.

Message 4 of 33
neilyj666

I'll try and dig out one I've produced and see what happens when I export

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 33
Cadbeyond

Did you get the result? šŸ™‚

Message 6 of 33
neilyj666

It was down my priority list but I've just done it and and the projected profiles do disappear when Exported to AutoCAD. The boreholes and strips remain as expected.....feels like a support ticket about to be raised

EESignature

Message 7 of 33
Cadbeyond

And it is not possible to project the borehole id onto the profile view directly! I finding the another ways! Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 33
neilyj666

Yes - this is a fundamental requirement...!!!!

Not sure if it can be done via Projected Objects in the normal way

EESignature

Message 9 of 33
Cadbeyond

It needs the tool (e.g. KeyAGS) to convert the AGS to meaningful spreadsheet and create a point group and finally project to profile view in Civil 3D!

Message 10 of 33
neilyj666

You can CTRL+A, then CTRL+C in Borehole Manager and then CTRL+V into Excel to get the data into a format that can be manipulated into a usable point file format and used in Civil 3D.

You could even set up a point file format in Civil, based on the Borehole manager output, to read a csv directly without rearrranging the columns etc in Excel.

The CTRL+ to Excel trick works for the Strata manager as well

EESignature

Message 11 of 33
ur_brad

Hi all,

am am quite new so please bear with me.

can a profile look better then what i have got attached. is it possible to bake the different layers more visible and distinct?

Thanks

Message 12 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: ur_brad

Whoaaaa.....!!!!! How did you create that profile?

If you have only used the surfaces generated by the geotechnical module you have just found the fundamental flaw in its operation in that it just uses the absolute level of the strata at each hole which more often than not is incorrect and in hilly terrain creates unusable surfaces.

Not an easy way around it unfortunately - if you confirm that this is what you have done I'll explain a method you can use to overcome it (which really should be built into the module)

PS Welcome to the forums, don't be afraid to ask questions; everyone was new to Civil 3d at some point...:)

EESignature

Message 13 of 33
ur_brad

thanks,

thats exactly what i did.

the module creates surfaces and only uses the top and bottum surfaces for stratification, hence the profille shown.

another thing is when i print/plot in plan view i dont get my strip views

Message 14 of 33
neilyj666

Typically the subsurface strata (in my part of the world anyway) follows the ground topography which the geotech module fails to consider (although in fairness it doesn't make any claims to do this).

EESignature

Message 15 of 33
ur_brad

don't think i understand that, but persoaly i do understand the strata but in terms of presentation is it not possible to get a better profile than what i made. more like hatched layers (in profile vew)

Message 16 of 33
neilyj666

It is possible to hatch between profiles but you need to get the geological surfaces to make sense first.

Look at some of your strata surfaces - I'm guessing you will find the stratigraphical sequence is incorrect i.e.assume stratum 2 should always be below stratum 1 then you could find that in some instances stratum 2 is above stratum 1 (based purely on the surfaces generated generated via the geotech module; it is possible but more likely not). The attached screenshot (from another modelling package explains what is happening in the geotech module

EESignature

Message 17 of 33
Cadbeyond

Good idea!! Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 33
ur_brad

I AGREE AND I THINK ITS ALSO A PROBLEM THAT CIVIL 3D TAKES THE STRATA LINEARLY

Message 19 of 33
neilyj666

@ur_brad wrote:

I AGREE AND I THINK ITS ALSO A PROBLEM THAT CIVIL 3D TAKES THE STRATA LINEARLY

Indeed as this can give rise to totally spurious surfaces and quantities although there is a lengthy (fairly manual) workaround

EESignature

Message 20 of 33
ur_brad

really? where can i find that? and also how can i hatch my profiles?

Thanks in advance

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report