Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export profile of projected object

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cbaildon001
1521 Views, 5 Replies

Export profile of projected object

How do export the profile of a projected 3d polyline to text file (eg Excel, CSV)? I have tried to use the Elevation Editor but the station always starts 0 at the start of the figure, so without doing some adjustment in Excel, how do I export the profile with 0 starting at the start of the alignment?

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: cbaildon001

If you have the 3d polyline then use DataExtration, extract the x,y,z points to csv.

If you do not have the 3d polyline then switch to 3d view, location profile and double explode and you will then have the 3d polyline. Follow same dataextraction proceedure.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 6
cbaildon001
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, but what I want at the end of the process is a profile that I can have band data for, Civil3D won't let me create band data for projected objects.

I was hoping to export a space delimited text file of station and elevation that I can then reimport into drawings as a proper profile. I also want these text files as a record of river cross sections I have surveyed.

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 4 of 6
Aistis88

I suggest you to create from 3d polyline a feature line ( maybe you dont need to do this step , dont know how much feature line differs from 3d polyline) . Then  right click on line >>> quick profile >>> export it by land xml ( go to output>> land xml  export >>>>  pick that quick profile . )

After you import back that land xml file you will get alignment in that lines place + you will get profile , which you need .

Message 5 of 6
MikeEvansUK

If you have an existing alignment then you will need to export the points stations with alignment points station offset report. This is a heck of a workaround but will work correctly.

Next, open excel, copy and paste the information into the sheet. Rearrange the data so that you remove unnessesary items just leaving the elevation & station. Swap the station position so that it it after the elevation then save as a csv.

Open the csv in notepad, copy and past into Autocad. Explode and use TXT2Mtxt, find and replace all commas with a space then copy.

Next Export landxml of alignment. Open the landxml in notepad and find the profile headers.

Now add the following in.

<Profile name="weighbridge_centreline">
                <ProfSurf name="weighbridge_NEW VA" state="existing">
                    <PntList2D>0. [paste from autoca here] </PntList2D>
                </ProfSurf>
            </Profile>

Save and import and you should get the profile superimposed.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 6 of 6
cbaildon001
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I did not mention that the base data for the 3D polyline is Cogo points. The method I have decided on is to not create a 3D polyline through the points but instead use the Toolbox report Reports Manager>Points>Station Offset to Points. Command REPORTPOINTSSTAOFFSET.

I copy the resulting html to Excel and delete the points that are out of range or large offsets and then cut the data down to station and offset and save as tab delimited text file. I then import this as a profile. Command CREATEPROFILEFROMFILE

Cheers

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report