Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export alignment created in civil 3d 2013 to google earth

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
atulbhobe
3636 Views, 22 Replies

Export alignment created in civil 3d 2013 to google earth

Can Any one suggest me how to import my alignment to google earth so that i can visualize how my alignment goes

as there is no link between google earth and civil 3d 2013 i am not able to fine a solution how to export my alignment into google earth

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: atulbhobe

You are not alone.

Export to Landxml and import to R2012. Sadly we have lost functionality since 2013.

There are 3rd party tools to do this.. Search for Google earth.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 23
DaveM
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

If you are just wanting to see you alignment over an aerial you could use base jump from the autodesk labs.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 4 of 23
TerryDotson

Give this free tool a try.  It supports many AECC objects directly and you can always export to AutoCAD for the rest.

Message 5 of 23
ccookusi

Purchase Global Mapper.

Very handy inexpensive pice of software.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
NVMe Samsung SSD 960 Boot
16 GB Ram
Message 6 of 23
scott.sheppard
in reply to: ccookusi

Thanks for the endorsement Dave, but the Project Basejump will end in 5 days. After that, people should use the GeoLocation capability of AutoCAD 2014 products.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 23

"Geolocation technology" Which is not available in R2013?? Scott, please would you be so kind as to see if a R2013 version could also be made available.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 8 of 23
scott.sheppard

Geolocation is one of the features that makes upgrading to AutoCAD 2014 valuable.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 23
atulbhobe
in reply to: scott.sheppard

so if geolocation features are not included in autocad civil 3d 2013 den suggest me some extensions or some kind of free software so tht i can superimpose my alignment on google earth.

Message 10 of 23
Neilw_05

One approach is to export the alignment to a shapefile and then use one of the many free utilties to convert shapefiles to KML.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 11 of 23
atulbhobe
in reply to: Neilw_05

plz suggest he how to export to shape file format, what's the procedure
Message 12 of 23
Murph_Map

One way is to first export the alignment to AutoCAD dwg format, then use the mapexport command to export that to shape format. When you use he mapexport command select polyline as the type and then just pick the pline of the alignment.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 13 of 23
neilyj666

terrys free tool works pretty well for me

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 14 of 23
Neilw_05

You will find the procedure for exporting to shapefiles in the Map help system. Just search for Export Shape File and you'll find it. Custom Civil 3D objects such as alignments cannot be exported directly to a shapefile. You will first have to convert the alignment to a generic Autocad polyline by exploding it or by exporting to Autocad as Murph suggested. I haven't tried Terry Dotson's export tool but it is probably a more direct/efficient solution, and it's free!

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 15 of 23
_Hathaway

Import your alignment file into a properly setup cad drawing with correct coordinate system.  Explode your alignment down to its' based entities.  Scale the entities to Grid coordinates(if they aren't already).  Publish to google earth and select all.  That's the way i do with 2013.  It doesnt take more then a couple minutes.

Message 16 of 23
Neilw_05
in reply to: _Hathaway

How do we publish to Google Earth in 2013?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 17 of 23
_Hathaway

Oops...we are still on 2012 (for some reason I thought we were on 2013) Why on earth would Autodesk remove one of its best features?
Message 18 of 23
scott.sheppard

Autodesk no longer has an agreement with Google to distribute the free Google Earth Extension for AutoCAD, so the technology preview ended.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 19 of 23
_Hathaway
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Well that is just plain wrong and unacceptable. Guess we'll have to figure out proper workarounds once we downgrade to 2013.
Message 20 of 23
ccookusi

All,

Again, Global Mapper is a great inexpensive piece of software that we have used for years.

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper.php

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
NVMe Samsung SSD 960 Boot
16 GB Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report