Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Layout crashes

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
StumpMasterFlex
1632 Views, 12 Replies

Export Layout crashes

FYI, I have a Civil 3D project with piping networks, grading etc.  The servicing and grading plans are on layout tabs (5 of each 10 in total).  When I would go export layout Civil 3D would go into not responding mode and crash.  This caused quit a bit of stress as we had to get the drawings out to meet a deadline.  

After investigating this issue, we identified that we had save our layer states in the layer manager.  Delete the viewport on the layout tabs, draw a new viewport and then reinstate the layer states for each layout.  This resolved, the crashing issue. 

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Michael

Kindest Regards
Michael,
Civil Design Technologist (Exploration Technologist)
Civil 3D 2013
Windows 8
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
32. GB
64-bit Oepration System, x64-based processor
No Pen or Touch Input
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: StumpMasterFlex

Have you tried Designe center to move the layouts to another drawing? I have never tried export a layout but have always had trouble with importing a layout and DC center add layout has worked without incident.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
StumpMasterFlex
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I tried design center.  It looks slick but it only brings over the paper space info.  It did not bring the model space info.  Export Layout exports all.  Do you know of way to use design center to export everything the way your drawing looks when you print it (model and paper in design center)?

Thanks for introducing me to Design Center.  I definitely see it is going to save us a lot of time in drawing setup etc.

Kindest Regards
Michael,
Civil 3D 2013
Windows 8
32. GB
No Pen or Touch Input
Message 4 of 13
Joe-Bouza

I missed that part. hmmm....Maybe try opening in ACAD for civil3d and try there? I have a hunch it does'nt work with c3d objects though, it might but i'm skeptical

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
StumpMasterFlex
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

k thanks

--
Kindest Regards
Michael Stempfer
Kindest Regards
Michael,
Civil 3D 2013
Windows 8
32. GB
No Pen or Touch Input
Message 6 of 13

I hadn't ever used Export Layout so I decided to try it. It not only crashed Civil 3D but Bluescreened my computer. Smiley Surprised I think I'll stay away from that one for a while.

Allen Jessup

Civil 3D 2012 SP 3 / IDSP 2014
Dell Precision T7400, Xeon CPU 3.16 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,12 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 4600

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 13

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Allen, however it does make for good Civil 3D satire.

You said you never used Export Layout.  How are other people sending paper space drawings to clients as a (wblocked , trimmed) model space drawing?

Kindest Regards
Michael,
Civil 3D 2013
Windows 8
32. GB
No Pen or Touch Input
Message 8 of 13

@StumpMasterFlex wrote:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Allen, however it does make for good Civil 3D satire.

You said you never used Export Layout.  How are other people sending paper space drawings to clients as a (wblocked , trimmed) model space drawing?

No big deal. It's time for a new computer. The request for the PO is going in this morning.

The simple answer is We Don't. We either send the whole drawing or a PDF plot of the layout. This is made easier by the fact that we're always the client.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 13

Oh I see. Yeah we have to send the client digital files. It must be nice
being top of the food chain.

I find the export layout works when you
Bind all Xrefs
Clean drawing, purge audit etc.
You have not edited viewports, have not clipped viewports etc. You may
have to recreate the viewport.

Should you want to try using it again (which I think is doubtful), you will
have to edit the export layout for things such ddptype, ltscales, surfaces
and any extraneous data.

--
Kindest Regards
Michael Stempfer
Kindest Regards
Michael,
Civil 3D 2013
Windows 8
32. GB
No Pen or Touch Input
Message 10 of 13
troma

If you export to acad first, does the export layout command work better in the exported drawing?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 11 of 13

I used to work for a smaller firm where we did have to do this. This was before Export Layout was available. What I would do is to use Chspace to move the VP and TB to Model Space. Then I'd use EXtrim to trim out everything outside of the Viewport. After that I would WBlock what was left to a new file, undo and start the next layout. That was the best we could work out at the time.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 13

I tried that last week.   However I found it changed object sizes, annotative text scales, resized and  repositioned object labels.  It was not pretty at all.   Maybe I had something set up wrong?  So much to learn.

Kindest Regards
Michael,
Civil 3D 2013
Windows 8
32. GB
No Pen or Touch Input
Message 13 of 13
troma

C3D objects rotate, change size etc. per viewport. When they are exploded they turn into an acad object that only exists at one size, one rotation, one location. Not pretty is normal.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report