Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exploding a Surface Components to different layers

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bbostic
2779 Views, 4 Replies

Exploding a Surface Components to different layers

Is there a way if I want my suface to be exploded for the components to be sent to different layers. For example if I make a building pad using the grading tool and create a surface for a design. I would like the minor and major contours to be on different layers. Same for my grading I would like my cut daylight boundary to go to a CG-Cut and fill daylight boundary to go to CG-Fill layers. Is there a way to do this? It would really streamline my work designing pads.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mark_Castle
in reply to: bbostic

I don't think you need to explode the surface. Go to Surfaces-Utilities-Extract Objects From Surface. You can then select TIN lines, contours, ect., extract them as AutoCAD entities, and place them on whatever layers you'd like.

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 3 of 5
troma

You set the layers for componants of a surface in the surface style > Display tab.  Without checking right now, I believe the objects will take on those layers if they are extracted or exploded.

Not sure why you need to explode as part of your design process though. Do you just need them to be on these layers for plotting?  If that's it, you can set it in the display tab and leave it at that, no explosion or extraction necessary.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: troma

the objects must also be visible before you can extract them

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 5
johngordon6189

you would have to explode the surface, and then explode the block it creates to get the entities on their layers.

John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report