Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors in Query Builder when using Survey Point - User-defined

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cattjake
678 Views, 9 Replies

Errors in Query Builder when using Survey Point - User-defined

Morning guys,

I am running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012.

I will try and walk you through everything from step one and hopefully someone has run into this before.

We are creating a Survey Database of all the borings / soil samples that have been taken for the entire life of a site. For each sample I wanted a variety of information to be assocaited with it from a main source file. I created and extensive .csv file for all the logs that is the source file.

Once I created the Survey Database I went to Manage Extend Properties>Survey Point>User-defined and created a new input for each piece of information I wanted assocaited with each sample. Once I had all the new fields created I imported source data. {No troubles up to this point so far}

Next I brought the points into the a drawing and started to create Point Groups with the Query Builder.

This is where I am running into problems.

In the Query Builder I set up my routine for which points to include for the group, and everything looks great. I get everything how I want and save the drawing, exit out, and then come back into it the drawing and the "Property" I set for the query has changed from what it was when I saved. This doesn't happen every time I exit and come back into the drawing but is still a serious problem.

It seems to happen mainly with the User-defined properties I created in the prior steps.

Any ideas? Simillar Issue? Solution?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
SethHall
in reply to: cattjake

I am not aware of any issues with this functionality, do you have a sample dataset you could upload so we can test? 

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 10
pmascaro

I've also reported this as a detailed bug. Probably 2012/2014 time frame.... It was noted as a bug and escalated, yet it's still an issue in 2018.2... I wish they would understand the value of this tool and fix it.

Message 4 of 10
rl_jackson

Unfortunately for 2012 you may run into some snags.... I think your going to find it doesn't work across multiple projects in that release...

That's what I get for not reading.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
pmascaro

No worries... we all have million things going on at once and skim...
Message 6 of 10
pmascaro

@cattjake, Have you been able to identify any triggers? I have this open in a support case and I'm having trouble replicating it. I restored an old version of the project before it happened and before we changed workflows to code the raw description with the two query items so we can keep the project moving, but I'm trying to circle back and it must be something that triggers this to happen. Everything worked fine for a few weeks and then suddenly all of the properties in in the query to different random properties changed on open and would do so from that point on sporadically and using different random properties for each. As if it lost the property and is just picking anything. It's different in each drawing...

I'm wondering if there is something that triggers the point group query function to break. As we are dissecting this with support, I'm was curious if you've identified anything in your work flow from the time it worked until the time it stopped working?

Thanks

-Paul

Message 7 of 10
qbitflip
in reply to: pmascaro

Has there been any resolution to this? Has anybody worked out what triggers it? Major pain for what is some base functionality of C3D!

Message 8 of 10
pmascaro
in reply to: qbitflip

The trigger is as follows;

1. Set point group query
2. Xref in an Xref drawing
3. Save & close drawing
4. Close out of C3D completely
5. Open C3D and drawing containing the point group query.

Your query properties are now set to a random property.

I’m told this happens because the database in the .dwg reloades during this process and by doing so the point group query losses it’s associated properties.

I’m working with our Enterprise support lead on this and she’s working with the dev team to resolve it. I’ll update you once I know more.

I’m told it will not make it into 19.1. Fingers crossed that it will make it into 19.2. If I get a hotfix before then, I’ll let you know.

Kind Regards
-Paul
Message 9 of 10
pmascaro

Still not fixed in 2019.2... and I've had no luck in getting anyone to escalate it beyond it being reported to dev.

The trigger is as follows;

1. Set point group query
2. Xref in any Xref drawing <- This breaks the query.
3. Save & close drawing
4. Close out of C3D completely <- (You have to close and reopen to replicate)
5. Open C3D

6. Open the drawing containing the point group query.

Your query properties are now set to a random property.

I’m told this happens because the database in the .dwg reloads during this process and by doing so the point group query losses it’s associated properties.

I have two tickets that have been escalated to dev. one from 2011 & one from 2018 and I've identified another ticket reported to ADSK by another firm in 2015.

Please submit a ticket w/ Autodesk to report your issue. It's not fixed in 2019.2 Hopefully they will fix it in 2020. Until they do, query builder will remain defective and not retain queries.

Message 10 of 10
pmascaro

This has been resolved in Civil 3D 2018.3 and will be included in 2019.3 & 2020.1 on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report