Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message - Object was open for read

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
darowe
18825 Views, 14 Replies

Error message - Object was open for read

I very frequently get the above message, "Oject was open for Read". Its to do with annotative text objects which I just recently started using. When I get the message the piece of text I am trying to make changes to is frozen, cant delet it or anything, can anyone tell me whats up?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Sinc
in reply to: darowe

Are you using C3D 2008?

Annotative Text is buggy in the 2008 version. Usually, if the text gets "frozen", you can clear it up by typing "AUDIT". Note that you can answer "No" when it asks you to fix errors, and the audit will go much faster.

This problem was fixed in C3D 2009, but as usual, was never fixed in C3D 2008.

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc
Message 3 of 15
Cartosmurf
in reply to: Sinc

I have the same problem with text which isn't annotative in C3D 2012, so I don't think it's totaly fixed yet. Any Idea how to solve the problem so I can edit the text?

Message 4 of 15
LyleHardin
in reply to: Cartosmurf

A user of mine is experiencing the same problems with C3D 2012. Audit fixes it, but not for long. I've applied the 2012 performance Hot Fix, not that that was supposed to take care of this issue, but just to let people know it's about as up to date as can be.

Message 5 of 15
oceanside
in reply to: LyleHardin

I'm having the very same problem ... been working and searching on this for two days.  This is happening on two computers (not everyone) with same dwg.  I've tested same dwg on different computers.  I tried Audit and it works once but then goes back to behaving the same.  I removed Civil 3D 2011 from computers and did a repair on 2012 (thought that may fix it but to no avail).   I put in a Tech Support yesterday and haven't heard back yet.  When I do, I'll definitely let you know what's said.  This is a headache!

the best is at the beach!
Message 6 of 15
Craig_B
in reply to: oceanside

I have had this issue also.  Almost every time I need to do anything to text I have to audit it first then regen to see it.  This is very aggravating

Message 7 of 15
oceanside
in reply to: Craig_B

I did hear from Tech Support...they said this was a known issue and is in their development team and is scheduled for a fix in SP1.  A workaround is set the DTEXTED to 1.  So far that has seem to work.

the best is at the beach!
Message 8 of 15
mkindschi

Having the same problem, but not only with text editor.  Move, copy and other editing commands also will not work when this error occurs.  The fix noted about 'dtexted = 1' seams to be working for me as well.

Message 9 of 15
slitsheim

FYI - Setting DTEXTED to 1 worked one time then text froze in new postion.

Message 10 of 15
slitsheim

FYI2 - Recovered the drawing and having DTEXTED set to 1 works just fine. Thanks for the workaround.

Message 11 of 15
solermarie

The dtexted set to 1 is not working for me.  I'm using autocad Civil3D 2022.  The only way I've found to fix it is to run an audit on the dwg.  

Message 12 of 15
g_ashworth
in reply to: solermarie

I am having this issue in Civil 3D 2022 as well. My MLEADER also disappears if I try to grip edit it to a different position.

Message 13 of 15
dwhite56

I ran an AUDIT while in the drawing and then was able to modify the text. Thanks.

Message 14 of 15
kehale

Had the problem moving an alignment to a different layer.  Ran the AUDIT and it worked.  Thanks!

Message 15 of 15
bismarc

I have run into the same problem. Run " -PURGE". Delete all Reg apps. This seems to have worked. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report