Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equipment Manager for Survey DB?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bcsurvey
412 Views, 4 Replies

Equipment Manager for Survey DB?

Doing a quick search didn't yield much about the equipment manager in C3D. 

We're making a big push to see how to best go about adjusting traverses since we just got a new boss. He's knowledgeable with C3D from both survey and design perspectives, but the current plan is to continue using LDD Companion 09 to do the adjustments as the one person that has done these thus far has just recently begun taking on the learning curve for C3D.  I can understand the value of retaining the 09 software, as the corresponding survey tools in C3D leave alot to be desired.  However, it would be nice for all of us to be doing ALL our CAD work on one platform.

Specifically, is there a resource for getting the EDM data and Standard Deviation data for a particular total station? 

I'm about to send a request to Topcon's support team requesting the same thing, but wanted to send out a feeler on this forum.  I understand that Trimble softward seems to be best for post-process of GPS data, so that would be a separate operation.  Our GPS guy handles these processes.  My inquiry applies only to total station traverses.

Thanks!

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: bcsurvey

The Equipment Database and Settings really only serve a purpose if your Importing FBK files and doing traverse closure analysis / adjustments. If your using a combination of GPS and Conventional, then you need to make adjustments to the equipment to adjust for scale factor so that the Conventional data scales to state plane and keeps all of your data the same.

Otherswise they, really dont serve much of a purpose, but I have one set up which I use that has most of the defualt settings and units are set to US Survey Foot.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
bcsurvey
in reply to: rl_jackson

Yes, our goal right now is to push for .fbk file import so as to adjust traverses via least squares.  Apparently the Survey Link file conversion is less robust at exporting a .fbk from .raw than are Trimble products (at least per this video:  http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/classes/year-2011/autocad-civil-3d/...)

So you're saying that you didn't go beyond the defaults in the equip. manager for what C3D provides out of the box?  The current C3D platform has been out for 3 years now, and though it's been a while since I did a search for these total station specs, I half expected to find a few posts leading to either Topcon, Nikon, Sokkia, Pentax, etc. sites that provided this data.  I've even created a user account for the Topcon site but couldn't find the information.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 4 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: bcsurvey

Most of the information for the insturment, should be in the Equipment Manual you whould have recieved at the time of purchase. But most of them have been around for a long time, your user on LDD, will have the same settings as the OOTB shown in C3D for the most part, unless they were modified. And I don't think that your have that may issues with the OOTB settings for all your imports (unless there's a 20 year old instrument in the mix). But keep in mind that Least square or other adjustments can only be accomplished on Conventional Data (i.e. Angle / Distance) GPS data can not be adjusted in C3D in this manner

With regards to Trimble Link vs Survey Link - there the same product, just update. Trimble bought TDS Software 5+ years ago, of course when they upgraded the transfer software it became Trimble Link or whatever it's called now (Still the same backbone).

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
bcsurvey
in reply to: rl_jackson

FWIW, I was just watching a vid by Seth Cohen where he discusses this.  Go to 43:35 in this video:

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2011/autocad-civil-3d/civil-3d-surv...

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report