AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Active Contributor
dgc74
Message 1 of 5 (245 Views)

Elevations change during insertion into drawing

245 Views, 4 Replies
06-21-2013 07:42 PM

I have imported a survey file.  When I insert the points into the drawing, the elevation changes to something that isn't even recognizable.  When I view the point in the survey tab, the elevation is correct, when I view the point in the prospector tab it is different. What is going on?

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 2 of 5 (232 Views)

Re: Elevations change during insertion into drawing

06-21-2013 10:21 PM in reply to: dgc74

dgc74 wrote:

When I insert the points into the drawing, the elevation changes to something that isn't even recognizable.  When I view the point in the survey tab, the elevation is correct, when I view the point in the prospector tab it is different.

What is meant by unrecognizable? Is the difference consistent if you divide the 2 values for a few random points?

Can you give an example of what the value for point #100 is in Survey tab vs. point #100 in Prospector tab?

Posting some captions of same points for correct and incorrect may help.

Without more information, 2 possibilities that come to mind are:

1. Units in Drawing differ from those in Survey Settings.

2. Point group could have an override for the elevation value.

Jay

C3D 2014 SP1
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Active Contributor
dgc74
Message 3 of 5 (209 Views)

06-22-2013 05:05 AM in reply to: Jay_B
The elevations in the prospector tab are 250m lower than survey tab. The file is a csv file. I didn't make any changes to the coordinate system settings in the metric template.
*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 4 of 5 (203 Views)

06-22-2013 06:37 AM in reply to: dgc74
Verify the Drawing Settings are set to Meters by Rt clicking on dwg name on Settings tab of Toolspace>Units and Zone Drawing Units>Meters
Next verify Toolspace>Settings tab>Rt. click on "Point">Edit Feature Settings>Elevation>Unit>Meters

Do these settings both match?
Jay

C3D 2014 SP1
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Active Contributor
dgc74
Message 5 of 5 (198 Views)

06-22-2013 07:50 AM in reply to: Jay_B

Yes both settings match.  I took a closer look and my Northings and Easting had shifted as well.  If I use the Import points file vs import survey data....the N,E,ELEV do not shift.

I also check the setting for the "survey" under the settings tab and it is metric as well.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs