Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elevation distribution within an defined area

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
autoMick
618 Views, 9 Replies

Elevation distribution within an defined area

Hi, I'm feeling pretty rusty with C3D at the moment and just can't work this one out.

I have a high resolution TIN surface and I have defined areas (closed polygons) scattered around on the surface. I would like to be able calculate the area of each polygon that falls within defined elevation ranges and export this information in to excel. Ideally in a form like this:

Capture.JPG

I thought I might be able to convert the polygons to Parcels and find a suitable report... but maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree... Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
lim.wendy
in reply to: autoMick

Hi Mick, 

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, do you mean to get the 3D surface area based on the defined elevation range from the polygons in the drawing? If it is, I can't think of an automated workflow Smiley Sad, the one which I can think of is to create "dummy" surfaces which represent each polygon and clip them using the boundary of your polygons. 

Then copy the 2D elevation banding analysis from the source surface and paste to each surfaces. Then add Elevation Tables for each surfaces. Not ideal though...

SurfaceRangeArea2.PNG

CopyAnalysistoAnotherSurface.PNG

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 3 of 10
autoMick
in reply to: lim.wendy

Hi Wendy,

To report 2D surface area is all I need. What you've demonstrated is basically what I want to achieve, but I have a lot of polygons so it's impractical to change the boundary for each one to report on each part of the surface separately. I was hoping that there would be some sort of 'Parcels Elevation Analysis' report that simply reported the 2D area for multiple parcels within each elevation range? 

Another strategy I was considering was to somehow do a parcels volume analysis, then divide the volume by the average depth to give 2D area. Don't know how to do this either, but maybe it will spark some ideas?

Thanks

- Mick

Message 4 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Would the volumes dashboard help?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
lim.wendy

Hi Mick!

Good day to you

Thank you for submitting your question in our discussion forums. Just wanted to check with you for an
update on this issue. Please let me know if you require further assistance.
Your understanding and support is greatly appreciated.
Have a great day!

Smiley Happy

Wendy Lim

Customer Value Hub

Message 6 of 10
sboon

I've been fooling around with this for a few hours, trying to find a solution.  I thought that Joe's idea would work - I can create a dummy surface at elevation zero, then use the dashboard to create a volume surface with multiple bounded areas.  My plan was to use an elevation analysis display style and a legend that shows the areas.  The problem is that using the bounded area in the dashboard doesn't affect the boundary of the volume surface, so the table doesn't change.

I've also been experimenting with extracting the elevation analysis hatches across the entire surface and then trying to filter them so that I could select within a polygon and get a cumulative area somehow. It works if I select a few hatches, but the properties dialog stops working if I select too many.

Frustrating - it seems like the solution is close but I cannot figure it out.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 10
lim.wendy
in reply to: sboon

Yea, Steve is right. The area for Volume dashbaord would not change and it is fixated to the polygon's area, but I do think that Mick suggestion or feedback is great. 

I would suggest to please navigate to the link below to submit this feedback.  It provides important feedback on features and input on capabilities that you value. In addition, this will go to the project manager of the product and he in turn will bring this to the quarterly product review /discussion with the development team for further consideration on top of these efforts above.  This is a great tool and can help build further momentum in pushing this request through. 

Feedback Link:  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

We’re listening to the voice of our customers, so we can make the Autodesk software even better!

Smiley Happy

Wendy Lim

Customer Value Hub

Message 8 of 10
sboon

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/plain;" />
Another thought. A grid volume surface would be less precise but the extracted objects might be easier to analyze. Count the number of ‎squares in each color that fall within the boundary and you have the areas.  

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 10
Joe-Bouza

We’re listening to the voice of our customers, so we can make the Autodesk software even better!

SUPER!

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
autoMick

Thanks Wendy, I've submitted this suggestion - hopefully it gets included sometime.

Any other suggestions in the meantime? I still haven't resolved my issue.

Maybe it is possible in Map3D?

Thanks

- Mick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report