Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earthwork XML?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
travanx
730 Views, 6 Replies

Earthwork XML?

After getting the surface and corridor in correctly. What is the proper way to generate an earthwork volume report? How do you get it to export out of Civil into LandXML? Is there something similiar to the insert volume report from Terrain Model Exploer like in Land 2005?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: travanx

I have not encountered this particular problem, but for xml reporting you must create a stylesheet.

http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_languages.asp

check this web site for more information on style sheets. I've created dozens of stylesheets for my company, it's easier to do if you know a little bit of html. Forget software that helps design them for you it's much faster to just learn how to make them in notepad or some other text editor. I use X-HTML Kit by www.chami.com.
You will not regret the time you spent learning how to make them.

If you get stuck post your problem or question and I'll check back.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

First you have to create cross section sample lines (Sections>Create sample lines), after that you can generate reports, in html and xml format (Sections>Quantity Takeoff). Earthwork report stylesheet is installed with Civil 3D.

Best regards,
Rob
Message 4 of 7
travanx

I know HTML somewhat, but I am a little unsure of how to get XML to work with the file. I am going to post the outputted .xml file I have, which only has 3 numbers; cut, fill, and net. Can someone help me with what I need to have for the .xsl file.

I have land 2k5 on my PC, my coworker who is using Civil3d 2k5 can't get Landxml to work on his machine. So when we bring the xml and xsl file to my machine it throws an error about the numberformatting.xsl stylesheet. I tried changing that in the xml file to an exact path but nothing would work. So I am thinking the .xsl file on my machine is wrong for his output. I know this is a simple .xml file but at least if someone can go through this with me I can figure out how to do more complicated ones in the future.

Thanks for any help.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

If you want to bypass the landxml software all together here is a trick that I use, it takes 30 seconds.
Using notepad or I use xhtml kit (free) See link for download http://www.ericx.com/openSource/index.htm

Make lines 1 and 2 of your xml document look like this.

Change the "yourStyleSheetName" to the name of your stylesheet.
make sure the xml document and the xsl document are in the same folder - My Documents - for example.

Then open the xml document in Internet Explorer or Firefox.

You may want to double check the math, the math engine may be different than the one in the Audodesk converter.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

travanx wrote:
> I know HTML somewhat, but I am a little unsure of how to get XML to work with the file. I am going to post the outputted .xml file I have, which only has 3 numbers; cut, fill, and net. Can someone help me with what I need to have for the .xsl file.

Travanx,

First thing to ensure is that your LandXML files are valid according to
the schema posted on http://www.LandXML.org/

I've modified your LandXML file slightly to accommodate that. I wrote a
small XSL style sheet that will take this LandXML file, look for all
SurfVolume elements and spit out the numbers in the file. The output
HTML file is also in the attached ZIP file.

Since I'm posting this via a newsreader, I'm not sure if the attachment
will show up properly, but if it doesn't I'll go through the web
interface and add it.

Please feel free to modify the XSL file to do what you want and
contribute it to the group.

--
Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc.
Autodesk Civil3D Product Information: http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d
Message 7 of 7
travanx

thank you so much!! i definately can get an idea of how a simple xsl file looks now. Many thanks again!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report