Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ETA for 20MB xml file?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
228 Views, 6 Replies

ETA for 20MB xml file?

Hey everybody; I've taken the advisory given during the Civil Express Tour as gospel... Create a file by using a template. So after doing that I created a sample XML file from an existing project to experiment with on my local drive. I added everything in the project as shown below: This is not a large site, at only 20 acres. I started the Import of everything in the XML file at about 3:45 this afternoon, and the little hourglass continues to fill and spill almost 45 minutes later. I had to stop C3D to get the screen capture above, so I guess I will try to Import one item at a time, and see how that goes. Yes, I've heard the grousing regarding the speed (?) of the Import/Export process of the XML files. But I only experienced about 10 minutes to Export the items shown above. Is this expected behavior for an Import? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Don Reichle wrote: > Yes, I've heard the grousing regarding the speed (?) of the > Import/Export process of the XML files. But I only experienced about > 10 minutes to Export the items shown above. XML is highly portable but far from compact. But from the dialog you show, it shouldn't be that large. Terry
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Don, Try importing the file in pieces; first just the Points, then the Surfaces, then the Parcels, etc. The problem is probably in the Parcels and Alignments. In C3D, if an alignment cuts through a parcel (or across another alignment) new parcels will be created. If you want to override that behavior you have to isolate the alignment by putting it in in a different Site. Also check the precision of the exported data from LDT (under Export Options: Data...). We've seen quite a few cases where folks are exporting with not enough (sometimes zero!) decimal places. That can cause a lot of problems when trying to import that data. If you'd like to share your LandXML data I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. Matt
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

> If you'd like to share your LandXML data I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. Don, I got your XML file from Himanshu. I'll check it out and get back to you. Thanks, Matt
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hey Matt; While others may have reservations about C3D, I for one am extremely appreciative of Autodesk's timely responses to our issues during the initial stages of the release. Thanks for jumping on this for me. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Matt Osborn" wrote in message news:418f9708$1_1@newsprd01... >> If you'd like to share your LandXML data I'd be happy to take a look at >> it for you. > > Don, > > I got your XML file from Himanshu. I'll check it out and get back to you. > > Thanks, > > Matt > >
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Don, I am able to import most of your data without much trouble. The real problem appears to be with the Surfaces. Performance is very poor, and you don't want to try importing more than a couple at one time. My guess is that we're leaking some resources. We'll investigate further and track down the culprit. Matt
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hey Matt; A little background data might help you out: The EG surface comes from aerial data, but unfortunately not their DTM data, just their graphical output. The EG+Field Topo surface is a copy of the EG described above, with the Field Topo surface Pasted in. And you're right about poor performance. This is only a 20 acre site. I'm hoping to finagle an upgraded platform to do Useful Work on the larger sites. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Matt Osborn" wrote in message news:418ff478_3@newsprd01... > Don, > > I am able to import most of your data without much trouble. The real > problem appears to be > with the Surfaces. Performance is very poor, and you don't want to try > importing more than > a couple at one time. My guess is that we're leaking some resources. > We'll investigate > further and track down the culprit. > > Matt > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report