Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic blocks from several different files, referenced in one tool palette

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jimbo2dajj
436 Views, 11 Replies

Dynamic blocks from several different files, referenced in one tool palette

Hello all,

I've begun to create tool palettes to organize my blocks and often-used items. I have no trouble creating the tool palette, inserting regular blocks, export/import of the tool palette and groups, however my problem involves Dynamic Blocks and the fact that I keep each seperate dynamic block in a different file. I do this so that I can easily insert the block into a new drawing.

I'm able to drag the dwg file onto the palette (from explorer to autocad) just fine, that way the block's reference in the palette is the original file. Although when I take this method, I don't gain the lighting bolt to signify a dynamic block.

To get the lighting bolt I insert the block into an empty drawing, save it, then drag the block over to the palette. The problem with this is that the tool palette references the saved blank drawing, not the original block's file.

My endgame is to have a tool palette that contains my dynamic blocks and that will be eventually exported/imported to other computers everytime there is a major change. I also want to be able to change the original block's file and have that change be reflected in the tool palette.

Hope the explanation is clear enough and thanks for your input,

Bryan

Junior Civil Engineer using Civil 3D 2013
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
gccdaemon
in reply to: jimbo2dajj

I do exactly what you need to do. You'll want to pull all the blocks into one file and have the toolpalette reference the blocks in that one file. When you make a change to the block anyone using your palette will pull that new block definition. The toolpalettes don't "Hold" a block, they hold a link to the block definition in the DWG file. If you drag a DWG file, similarly it links to the DWG file. Hope this helps. 🙂

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 3 of 12
jimbo2dajj
in reply to: gccdaemon

Thanks for the reply, however If I pool all my blocks in that one file, I'll lose the functionality of being able to insert them individually. But I'll have them in the tool palette so no need to use the Insert command... I guess it's only one or the other in this case. Do you know of any way to allow both possibilities? Thanks, Bryan Sent from Samsung Mobile ________________________________
Message 4 of 12
gccdaemon

You should be able to do both. How do you handle manual inserting? (that's what she said) Do you insert the block then explode it?

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 5 of 12
jimbo2dajj
in reply to: gccdaemon

LOL!

When I create a dynamic block I finish with a WBLOCK. That way when I insert the block into a new drawing it is a clean, dynamic and annotative block, no exploding whatsoever. 

I was hoping that if I updated the original file, it could be updated in the tool palette as well as staying seperate from the other files. That way for those who actually used the tool palette, they would have the updated blocks. Also, the people who are still accustomed to inserting their blocks, would have the same versions as the tool palette.

Message 6 of 12
Joe-Bouza

If you are putting them into a palette why would you be concerned with the insert single? Anyway, if you include in the search path you should still be able to insert

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 12
jimbo2dajj
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I know it's redundant but I'm trying to see if it's possible to include both possibilities. So far it seems that it isn't. I tried changing the search path but a tool palette won't reference a dynamic block, it must reference a file where the block is defined, so I get an error message. Sent from Samsung Mobile ________________________________
Message 8 of 12
Joe-Bouza

thats correct. perhaps include the dynyo in your dwt file? you'll get the best of both worlds

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 9 of 12
jimbo2dajj
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Alright, I'll work it out.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Message 10 of 12
troma

If you have a file with all the blocks in it, and also have each one in a separate file it should then work for you both ways.  Then if you need to update a block, simply update the individual file with that block, and then insert it into the overall file to update the definition in there.  People can insert either way and get the same result.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 11 of 12
gccdaemon
in reply to: troma

The problem you're having is when you WBLOCK out the block. When you do that it essentially explodes the block and you lose the Dynamic abilities.

Your best bet is to insert the dynamic block (example: a MH block) into a blank DWG file and save it (example: MH.DWG).

When you want to add the block to your tool palette, drag it from the MH.DWG into the tool palette.

If you want to update the MH block, you'll have to block edit it in the MH.DWG and resave your MH.DWG.

If someone wants to insert that MH.DWG as a block then they'll just have to explode it after inserting, which will leave the original MH block in tact with dynamic traits.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 12 of 12
jimbo2dajj
in reply to: troma

Yes thats true, however that adds another step to the editing process.

I guess it would be necessary tho in order to have it both ways.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report