Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Data Shortcuts

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
AllenJessup
1061 Views, 9 Replies

Duplicate Data Shortcuts

I had a few problems moving a project from 2012 to 2014. After a couple of tries I got everything set except the main alignment. When I originally used the Data Shortcut Editor to change the path of the shortcuts. I noticed that most of the paths were mostly UNC paths. So I replaced them with the current UNC path.

Now when trying to fix the one shortcut I've noticed that there is now a duplicate of the UNC path shortcut and one using the pathed network drive. So there is now a total of 3 references for each shortcut. I don't know yet if this is part of the problem but it doesn't look like it's a good thing.

My first inclination would be to delete all but the newest XML file for each reference. But I don't know what kind of mess that might cause. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

I tried deleting the XML files. It didn't seem to hurt anything. There were only doubles of the files so now I'm down to just 2 entries for each reference. It didn't improve anything because my centerline alignment still comes in flat so the profile reference is still bad.

However I don't think the program liked what I did. It created a new folder for me.

du.PNG

Is that a comment?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
fcernst

The developers chaged the way data references are handled starting in C3D 2013. So if you are migrating from 2012 and getting intimate with the referencing, I suggest conferring with Support.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: fcernst

OK. Thank you.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
fcernst

Support tells me that Development has told them that things were done to the code in this area of the software to enhance and optimize performance starting with C3D 2013, with more changes also in C3D 2014.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: fcernst

I've stated a support case. I'll let you know the results.

Update. I deleted the older XML files and that eliminated the duplicates in the drawing. I still have duplicates within the XML files.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
fcernst

Support goes on to say that Development tells them these coding optimizations may result in some,  quote  "unexpected" behavior. 

So I think it is good you are exploring this further. Development may be looking for feedback from users who implement the softwater in a design shop, production type of environment.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 10
Jay_B

Allen,

Did you also try Migrating the Shortcuts to current version, or just remap the 2012 shortcuts?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 9 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay_B wrote:

Did you also try Migrating the Shortcuts to current version, or just remap the 2012 shortcuts?

That's how the files I'm currently working with were created. I still needed to remap them after the SaveAs.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
john.mckenzie

I have come across old projects that have had multiple data folders depending upon who set them up and on what day.

I have been known to delete entire data shortcut folders and open the dwgs where the data resides and recreate them.

by paying attention to the "associate dwg to project" and making sure I get all the data, I have had no problems doing this.

it all depends upon how large the project, how big the mess, and whether it is worth the effort in the end.

CAVEAT:

I have not tried this since I have started with version 2013 though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report