Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping zero for whole number labels

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
eric_apostol
4212 Views, 9 Replies

Dropping zero for whole number labels

Hi All,

I know someone might already asked this question (or maybe not) and I can't find any topic similar to my question (or maybe I just can't find it).

I am creating a label style speciafically to alignment chainage/station. In our office, the presention should be on "decimal" format (eg 100)  and not the "station" format (eg 0+100). And I know (somehow) to set a style for those kind of format on the alignment label style editor. But my question is, how to create a "decimal" format of chainage/station labels that are whole number from the start and body and only having a decimal numbers only at the end of alignment (if the ending alignment is not whole number).

And I know, choosing the "decimal" format, the "Dropping Zero for Whole Number" is grayed out/disable.

Currently, I am playing to this setup to make this style but without luck. (Using the Station Value)

1. Station Format (precision = 0.01 station character = <none>  station character position = 1+0  drop decimal for whole numbers = yes)

** INPUT **

Ch <[Station Value(Um|FS|P2|RN|AP|Sn|TN|B1|EY|W0|OF)]>

** OUTPUT **

At start of chainage = "Ch 00" --> two zero is showing up.

Somewhere in the middle of alignment = "Ch 100"

At the end = "Ch 154.55"

2. Decimal Format (output left of decimal only) + Station Format (Drop Zero for Whole Number = yes & output decimal character only) +Station Format (Drop Zero for Whole Number = no & output right of decimal only)

** INPUT **

Ch <[Station Value(Um|FD|P0|RN|AP|GS|UN|Sn|OLD)]><[Raw Station(Um|FS|P2|RN|AP|Sn|TP|B1|EY|W1|ODS)]><[Station Value(Um|FS|P2|RN|AP|Sn|TN|B3|EY|W0|ORD)]>

** OUTPUT **

At start of chainage = "Ch 0." --> a decimal point is showing even the "Drop zero for Whole Number is enable)

Somewhere in the middle of alignment = "Ch 100." --> a decimal point is showing even the "Drop zero for Whole Number is enable)

At the end = "Ch 154.55"

Any ideas on how to achieve my goal? Or did I miss a setup? I am using Civil 3D 2011

Any advise or comment about the setting is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Eric

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

You can use expressions to check for the three cases and then check to see if the station value is within the range and then return the station value or return a negative value. Then add the three expressions to the label compenent using the hide negative value for each of them. This would only work if you don't have negative station values though. 

Message 3 of 10
mlouis
in reply to: eric_apostol

Station Label Style to show the last two zeros past the decimal at whole stations. Here is a step-by-step on how to “stop it” from dropping the last two digits past the decimal point: #1) R-Click the label & Edit Label Style…. #2) Edit Current Selection #3) The “Station” Component name should automatically be first to show up in the Label Style Composer. If it’s not….select STATION. #4) Under Text….under contents….click on the ellipse button …. #5) Select the text….then scroll down the properties….change the value of the “Drop decimal for whole numbers” to “NO” Good luck

Message 4 of 10

Thank you for your reply. That was quick.

Anyway, I think expression could work though I am not that great on making expressions. But I will give it a try. Thank you.

The only thing I can see about this is that, this is a case to case basis. I think it can't be use to be save in our civil 3d template. But of course I might be wrong as I am not great with "expressions"

Thank you anyway and I will give this a try for my current project. Cheers.

Message 5 of 10
eric_apostol
in reply to: mlouis

@ mlouis

Thank you for replying but I think you misunderstood my query.

My objective is to create a Chainage Label for my alignment that is in the "DECIMAL" format (eg 1000) and NOT in "STATION" format (eg 1+000). And choosing the "DECIMAL" format, the DROP ZERO FOR WHOLE NUMBER" is disable.

The output I aim is this:

|----------|----------|----------|------|

Ch 0     Ch 10      Ch 20    Ch 30  Ch 36.70

My aim is to have my chainages to be in "DECIMAL" format but no decimal number in chainage which is whole number but having a decimal numbers (2 places specifically) at the end (if is not whole number)

I hope this will make my question clearer.

Any suggestion, (and of course, any solutions) is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Eric

Message 6 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: eric_apostol

I can do this with 2 expressions....hopefully you can see the pic. Essentially each expression sets a specific text height, 0.0025 in a metric dwg I used here = 2.5mm, to be used for the text to display or 0.00001 for the false condition. One is for when the Station = 0, the other is for all other cases (station /= 0).

Then the Label style has 2 Text components, the one for 0 just has "CH 0" in it and uses the ZERO expression for the text height. The other label is the one you showed in the first post, except it used the NotZERO expression for the text height.

Hope that makes sense.....

6-21-2011 3-12-03 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 10
eric_apostol
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thank you for your replies guys. Very much appreciated.

I only hopes that there is a much better/easier solution rather than doing these expression. But hey, for the reply of Jeff_M and Civil3DReminders. They work great! And they work as well even the Chainage/Station 0 is on the on middle part of your alignment.

I attached the sample output I did for others to see as reference or to those had the same problem as mine.

Cheers,

Eric

c3d ch label.png

Message 8 of 10

A couple of things:

1. Look at the "Station Index" format. I think this is closer to what you are looking for than the 1+00 format.

2. Have you looked at any of the Country Kits for Civil 3D? Depending on where you are we may have a kit that contains a style similar to what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
Sinc
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

I gave the Station Index Format option a try...

I set it up as shown below.  First, I set the Station index increment to a very large value, then I created Label Styles that used just the "Right of station character" for the output.

StationIndexFormat_setup.png

It seems to work well for Stations greater than or equal to 0.  But it doesn't seem to work for Stations less than 0:

StationIndexFormat.png

Sinc
Message 10 of 10

Thank you for replying Peter. It is good to know that someone from Autodesk is also joining the discussion.

In regards with your reply, per Sinc post, I think that solution is not usuable if the reference chainage/station "0" is not in the start of the alignment.

And in regards with the country kit, I haven't check it. Actually, it I am not mistaken, it was not rollout in our office due to that Civil 3D is not our prior software for DTMs, roads, and similar. And if ever I got my hands on those templates, I still need to change it to be on our office standard presentations which the alignment label on this post is one of those standard presentation in our alignments.

I will be specific to my wishlist in regards with this post. On the Label Style Composer for Station Value, if you guys could enable please the "Drop Decimal for Whole Numbers" if I choose the "Decimal" format. And also, for other type of Labal style. Like on the Alignment labels, I think no need for the decimal numbers for regular interval as most of the time they are whole number. Same issue for profile labels for its X axis, if you are entering an interval of whole number. Decimal numbers are only good for the last station and not in the regular interval.

If you guys (Autodesk) add a fix on it, it will be awesome!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report