Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing in 3 Dimensions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dan
Explorer
892 Views, 5 Replies

Drawing in 3 Dimensions

Just made the jump to Civil 3D 2013. I have one quick question with several parts.

It is my understanding with 3D osnaps on, lines/polyline are supposed to be drawn in 3 dimnensions.The Z of a polyline drawn with 3D osnaps on appears to be drawn in 2 dimensions. It seems as though the line is drawn in the Z plane of the first point, which is to say it has a constant elevation. Is this correct?

If so, what are the implications of this if I am trying to create standard breaklines from polylines?

In doing general drawing clean-up, with particular reference to unfinished figures, do I have to draw in 3 dimensions for these lines to be useful?

I'm sure as I use the software more these answers will become clear but any help wpuld be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: dan

"It is my understanding with 3D osnaps on, lines/polyline are supposed to be drawn in 3 dimnensions.The Z of a polyline drawn with 3D osnaps on appears to be drawn in 2 dimensions. It seems as though the line is drawn in the Z plane of the first point, which is to say it has a constant elevation. Is this correct?"

Correct.

A 3dPoly will have a different z value at 3 snapped points A=900, B=905 and C =910

Where a Polyline will carry the first snapped z value through entire length of polyline.

A=900, B=900 and C=900.

"If so, what are the implications of this if I am trying to create standard breaklines from polylines?"

See Here for Standard and Proximity breakline types

"In doing general drawing clean-up, with particular reference to unfinished figures, do I have to draw in 3 dimensions for these lines to be useful?"

Not sure what you mean by "unfinished figures? Survey Figure edits or just general linework in dwg to be used as breaklines?

You'll either define breaklines by Standard or Proximity type, so for example if all you have is polylines (all at zero elevation) you'd use Proximity. breakline vertices elevations get read from the closest surface point in this case.

if your breaklines have actual elevations assigned, 3d lines, 3d poly's Survey Figures etc.  Standard is used.

Hope this helps.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
Kevin.Spear

If you want to draw polylines in 3D, then you need to use the command 3DPOLY.

Polylines are 2D by nature and will maintain the starting elevation.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Civil 3D is. You have to see it for yourself." Pardon the movie reference... 🙂

Kevin

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 4 of 6
dan
Explorer

Thank you. The information was helpful.

Message 5 of 6
neilyj666

You may also want to explore the OSNAPZ variable as this will have a bearing on the Z value when snapping to objects

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 6
dan
Explorer
in reply to: neilyj666

I ended up switching the Workspace to 2D which allows me to do the drafting clean up I'm looking for. I'm not sure if or how the Civil 3D Workspace will be affected by this, whith respect to breaklines in particlular, but I guess we'll find out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report