Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing has been saved by a newer version....uh, no it hasn't

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Jeff_M
766 Views, 6 Replies

Drawing has been saved by a newer version....uh, no it hasn't

C3D2012 SP2.1

I know I posted about this one other time, in another thread, but I couldn't locate that post. What I have is a nice production drawing, that has NEVER even been opened in C3D2013. I JUST finished adding labels for some new pipes and structures that are in an Xref. I saved the drawing and closed it to work on a different project while plotting. In SSM, I select the sheets to Publish, the first 4 plot without issue, then I get a CER without a Fatal Error...I can still work on the nbow current drawing...it appears that SSM crashed while loading the aforementioned sheet I had been working on.I close everything down, restart C3D2012, open the same drawing I had just labeled, says it needs to be recovered, so I let it finish loading (I've found that stopping the load will almost always cause C3D to hang indefinitely), close that drawing, then run recover, finds 2 errors, allow to fix, am greeted with the message box "This drawing has been saved by a newer version of C3D. All C3D commands are disabled in this drawing." 

Wait a dang minute, SSM crashes and somehow (the save time is still the same as when i manually saved it in 2012) saves it as a C3D2013 file...even though it is still opening as a 2010dwg format file? Opening the file in Notepad even shows it was last saved in 2012.

However, I now just lost another hour+ of work thanks to some goofy things going on in C3D/SSM/whatever.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: Jeff_M

I discovered the hard way that certain actions in SSM can update/upgrade drawings. Probably what happened is the ARX components of your drawings got upgraded to a newer version, even though the drawings are still in the older format.

It is very dangerous to use SSM on older drawing versions. Sorry for the bad news.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 7
tcorey

Jeff, I don't know why this happened, but want to follow this subject as it is rather critical (as if you didn't know that!)

Did you open the Sheet Set in 2013 at some point, but just not this particular drawing, or was nothing ever opened in 2013?

If we can figure out why this happened to you, I will be able to warn other clients.

All the best,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: tcorey

AFAIK, this sheet set has never seen 2013, Tim. I do have a backup of the dst from February, so I know that it hasn't seen 2013, I think I will test this to see if the same thing occurs. Back in a bit...

EESignature
Message 5 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: tcorey

I'll share my experience if it is of significance.

I was exploring SSM. I had a set of drawings from a LDT 2004 project that I wanted to use for practice, so I copied the drawings to a practice folder. I loaded some of them into SSM and began working on placing fields from the sheet set attributes in the title blocks of the plan sheet drawings. Tragically I forgot that the XREF's in those files were pointing to my live project files. Well somehow while working on my practice drawings, the live project files that were referenced got upgraded, even though I didn't do anything that would cause them to be opened. I'm not sure what I did to cause the corruption but as I recall I did crash a couple of times while working with SSM.

Needless to say it was a disaster.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 7
Jeff_M

Ack, after using the dst from February, getting a backup of  the subject drawing from May of 2010 (yes, it's been a while since this project was active...guess that means things are 'looking up'), making the edits required edits, again, saving then copying that save, and closing, I then used SSM to publish the drawing. This is exactly the same workflow I used previously (except for the copy of the good drawing part), this time Publish worked without a crash, the dawing was NOT saved as having been opened in 2013, and all is right with the project.

The only explanation I can come up with is that yes, this drawing must've been opened via SSM in C3D2013. Even though it was never saved, SSM's Publish seemed to think that this drawing needed 2013 in order to be opened, but since it was being run from inside 2012 it would crash when that one file was encountered (all 8 of the other drawings in this SS published without issue). I don't recall having tested 2013 with this one drawing, but since I am the only one here with access to 2013 I can only surmize that it was me.

Moral of the story, don't open any drawings (attached to a sheet set) or dst's in a newer version, even for 'just looking' unless you plan to move the entire project to that newer version. Lesson learned. (Although, I could swear that I've done this with projects from C3D2010 in C3D2012 without incident. But I have moved most projects to 2012.)

EESignature
Message 7 of 7
tcorey

A painful lesson, indeed, Jeff. Thanks for sharing your experience. Let's hope others read this thread before they run into this issue.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report