Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing file disappearing while being edited

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
dlowe
3438 Views, 23 Replies

Drawing file disappearing while being edited

One of my users has a strange problem. While editing a drawing (opened from the network), the drawing switches to read-only when she tries to save it, and the .dwg file on the network folder from which she opened the file disappears. The lock files are still there, but the .dwg is gone. She can do a Save As, so she hasn't lost any work (yet!), but the problem has me perplexed.

This problem started when we converted her to Civil 3D 2011. At the same time we also upgraded her to Windows 7 64-bit.

I have about 20 other users on this same platform, she's the only one who's had this problem. I've done a repair install but that didn't fix it. I haven't yet done a full uninstall & reinstall, maybe that's what I should do next.

I have a network recovery bin application running on the server, but it has no record of the file being deleted.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what might cause this? 

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
tanney
in reply to: clemk

Thanks for the useful feedback.  AutoCAD works just fine on my (overpriced) macbook, better than on Windows!

Message 22 of 24
tanney
in reply to: lsimms1

Thank you.  We are in a school environment and turning off autosave is risky indeed.  The only time they seem to loss file is working off the desktop or my documents, which are redirected to their personal network drives.  No issues EVER working form the local hard drive....  I has to be a windows netowrking thing

Message 23 of 24
CADbloke
in reply to: dlowe

I have seen this problem for years in various versions of AutoCAD and Windows. I believe it is related to the way AutoCAD (mis)handles its file-saving process.

I think the random file-locking feature has something to do with (particularly on wireless) network re-authentications either failing for a short while or affecting session tracking. I now edit locally and use Free File Sync using two-way sync and with deletion handling set to "versioning" to sync the network drive with my local copy (which is also in DropBox). The only shortfall is that it doesn't lock the network file when I edit it. I can set it to read-only if I want but that's just a convention that can be fragile

One way I have worked around it is to "save-as"  to the UNC path over the top of the file the mapped drive thinks is locked.

Also, look for "blahblah.ATMP" files - they are your drawings. change the extension to .dwg and open them. Look for them by date/time to find the latest vanishing act.

I had an on-going bug report about this with Autodesk for years (literally) before I just gave up on it (and their support). They only fix things their sales department tell them to fix. Shiny things.
- - - - - - -
working on all sorts of things including www.tvCAD.tv & www.CADreplace.com
Message 24 of 24
jhockley
in reply to: dlowe

BUMP

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? Have just started experiencing it.

Locking saved files. Only opening files read only from 'explorer' or 'recent documents'. Intermittent issue, ok on C drive.

Thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report