Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drape Image in Civil 2011

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
sfec-eric2
2543 Views, 15 Replies

Drape Image in Civil 2011

I'm trying to drape in image over a surface in Civil 2011 and every time my image becomes draped mirrored vertically.

I've verified UCS, tried this in a new drawing from scratch, used different image types (tiff, jpg) and still come up with the same results.

I have also tried this across various platforms (x64, x86, Win7, XP) with the same results.

I repeat the steps using Civil 2010 and my results are what they should be.

Someone please tell me that I'm not losing my mind and that this is an actual problem with 2011 specifically.

Thanks in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: sfec-eric2

I do not get the same problems as you.

Are you following the tutorial as provided, that is to import the image in the corect location or use ADETransform to locate correctly. Then change the surface style to display triangles in model and use the Drape image tool (from surface menu or ribbon) then 3dview with realistic style.

It seems to work correctly for me. Have you set a coordinate system (under zone) or is that blank? Have you edited the render material style after creation?

It may be better to post a stripped Dwg & image in a zip for us all to look at.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 16
sfec-eric2
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

As stated before, I go through the exact same procedure in 2010 (and all previous versions of Civil since drape image was first introduced).  This is strictly a 2011 issue.

I've been using C3D for many years so I know this isn't an operator issue.

Please see attached zip file.

Just so there's no confusion as to template settings, this drawing was created using the default C3D Imperial template.  Contours were not imported from any other source, just sketched quickly by me specifically for this issue.  As an added bonus, I'm using one of the default pictures in Win7 (not orthophotography) just so there is no confusion as to the correct orientation of the picture.

Message 4 of 16
Jeff_M

I am seeing the same thing here, so I guess that means it's not just you. 🙂 I have tested in a new drawing with my own image as well, same results.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 16
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

Here's a PNG to show the results....top is the original image, below is the image draped on a surface.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 16
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Jeff_M

No issues here under C3D R2011 British English version (no patches).

I have included an image from the posted file.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 16
pwatts
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

The Only way I can get the Drape Image command to work without having to mirror the Image is to turn off Hardware Acceleration under Options>System>Performance Settings>Manual Tune>

Regards

Pete

Message 8 of 16
CeaJae

I caught this right before sending hardcopies to a client, thanks A.

I had the same issue and fixed it by turning off hardware acceleration per other posters suggestion.

Thanks again DG contributors.

Gonna try reinstalling recommended video drivers...

Lenovo Thinkpad W500

Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM

ATI Mobility FireGL V5700

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Civil 3D 2011 64bit

Message 9 of 16
Uncivil3d
in reply to: CeaJae

Same issues here with 2011. Maybe autodesk will fix it with 2013 Smiley Wink

It also seems to revert back after you drape with hardware acceleration off and turn it back on. Must be some sort of rendering issue.

Message 10 of 16
randoshadow
in reply to: Uncivil3d

Is there any other fix for this other than turning off hardware acceleration?

Message 11 of 16
hgohel

Thank you all for your reports.  We have logged defect 1324536 about the image being flipped when hardware acceleration is enabled.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 16
AWTWater
in reply to: hgohel

And yet C3D 2012 was released with the same problem. Typical Autodesk methodology!

The workaround, which I discovered by trial and error, is to mirror your image about its horizontal axis, drape it onto your surface, then mirror it back again.  The important thing to remember is to delete the original with each mirror so as not to leave multiple copies.

What you end up with is your original image correctly oriented for layout purposes, plus a new material created for your surface.

Message 13 of 16
svli
in reply to: pwatts

Thank you!

I have experienced the same problem in Civil 2012

I have tried to solve the problem for about three hours.

When I turned off the hardware acceleration it worked immediately.

I will try with certified hardware drivers

Message 14 of 16
info
in reply to: svli

is there a solution for this yet?  the draped image still rotates in civil3d 2013 with hardware accel on.

Message 15 of 16
Neilw_05
in reply to: info

Problem still exists as of today 8/27/12.

Turing off Hardware Acceleration fixes it but results in poor resolution.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 16 of 16
codee
in reply to: hgohel

Still happening in 2017...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report