Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag Cogo Point Label takes 75 seconds

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
AllenJessup
556 Views, 20 Replies

Drag Cogo Point Label takes 75 seconds

I've been generally having trouble with Civil 3D 2012 taking a long time to do tasks. One that takes quite a while is if I drag a Cogo Point Label. As stated it takes about 75 seconds. It will move to where I drag it immediately but then the program is unresponsive for a minute and 15 seconds.

In the past 4 days I've repaired C3D, tried 4 or 5 different versions of the display driver and did a windows update. A lot of commands, specifically Civil 3D commands, are very slow. Does this ring any bells?

Allen

Civil 3D 2012 with SP (Update) 1

NVIDIA  Quadro FX 4600 768MB GDDR3 (Tune log reports 2530 MB)
Driver 8.17.0012.9670

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Hi,

have you opened the property window? If so, close it (at least for a test), also disable QuickProperties if you have it active.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 21

I didn't have Properties open but did have QP on. I also had Layer Manger, Toolspace and Tool Palettes open. I decided to close all of them. Somewhere between closing the Toolspace (2nd to last to be closed) and the Tool Palette (last to be closed) I got a Fatal Error. I let it save a recover file and when I ran RECOVER on the file. I got a drawing that doesn't have that problem. I'll have to see if any others show up.

In the recovered drawing I have everything I mentioned above open, plus I opened the Properties box, and I still don't have a problem dragging point labels. So I think in this case it was the Recover that solved the problem. I had run Audit on the drawing yesterday, so I hadn't thought to do that.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 21
jmayo-EE
in reply to: AllenJessup

Try going into the cui and turning off tooltips for cogo points.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 21

I responded too soon. It started having the same problem again after about 5 minutes. I tried to close thing again and it Fatal Errored when I closed Toolspace.

It looks like it's time to reinstall Civil 3D.Smiley Sad

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 21
AllenJessup
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks John. But I think it goes deeper than that.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 21
jmayo-EE

No prob. Just making sure you knew there was an issue with the tooltips an cogo points for a number of users here.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous

I think you are running low memory I have a lot of problem running in a 32 bit W7 PC I move to a 64 bit W7 with 16G ram and ........... voila magic, solved problem

Message 9 of 21
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

I think that's a good possibility. I only have 4GB of RAM. But there's nothing I can do about that now.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 21
Anonymous

Definitely is your problem, as soon as you up-grade you’ll see the difference, Auto-Cad C3D-2012 use to much memory for graphic definition and another thing, you have to create more space for virtual memory it help little more,  in addition a video card with more memory is a plus

Message 11 of 21
AllenJessup

@Anonymous wrote:

as soon as you up-grade you’ll see the difference,

Not going to happen soon. No money. 150 layoffs (out of 2300) scheduled for next month. Maybe I wont have to worry about this for much longerSmiley Surprised

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 21
Sinc

What are your full system specs?

One of my systems is still an i7-920, but it also has 8GB RAM and is on Win7 x64.  It's not as nice as my computer at home (i7-2600, 16GB RAM) or my laptop (i7-2860QM, 16GB RAM), but it still seems to work pretty well.  So the key thing might be to get onto Win7 x64 with at least 8GB RAM (which is actually a pretty cheap upgrade).

Sinc
Message 13 of 21
AllenJessup
in reply to: Sinc

Dell Precision T7400, Windows 7 64bit

Intel Xeon X5460 (Harpertown) @ 3.16GHz

Bus Speed: 333 MHz

FSB: 1330 MHz

MOBO: Dell ORW199

BIOS: A10 12/29/2011

RAM: 4GB FB-DDR2 332.5MHz

Nvidia Quadro FX 4600, 768MB

2, ATA SAMSUNG HD251HJ SCSI Disks

This should be a very good machine. Not brand new but near top of the line when bought. Lacking in RAM though. I would love to by some more but with our financial situation it isn't going to happen.

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago and what IT did was to wipe my machine and restore a Ghost image made when they installed Windows 7 the first time. But that was only 6 weeks ago. I can't have the computer rebuilt every six weeks.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

I think you need only to up-grade the RAM 4G is not an adequate amount, minimum you need 8 GB, 16 GB is the ideal, and the memory card are not expensive, this some memory information about my Video

NVidia Quadro 2000M

With a processor clock 1100 MHz

Memory clock : 900 MHz (1800 MHz data rate)

Memory interface: 128 bit

Total graphic memory 9924 MB

Dedicated video memory 2048 MB DDR3

Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

Message 15 of 21
AllenJessup

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you need only to up-grade the RAM 4G is not an adequate amount

Yes. That seems to be the opinion most people have, and I agree that I need more RAM. But that's not going to happen unless I pay for it myself. I might consider that but I'd rather wait until I see if I have a job next month.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

Good luck

Message 17 of 21
AllenJessup

Thank you. In some ways I shouldn't have to worry, but I've seen private firms strip most of their senior staff and leave just some junior techs. Governments can be even weirder.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 18 of 21
AllenJessup

An update. This doesn't seem to be anything that 2 clean installs and another 8GB of RAM wouldn't cure. After the second clean inhalation I could drag the labels without much trouble. Now that I bit the bullet and got enough RAM to bring me up to 12GB thing are working much better.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 19 of 21
jmayo-EE

Did u disable the tooltips for Congo points in the cui after reinstalling? Sent from my iPhone

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 20 of 21
AllenJessup
in reply to: jmayo-EE

No. Didn't touch it.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report