Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to Design all minor accesses or driveways as intersections?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Razzmatazz
1144 Views, 14 Replies

Do I have to Design all minor accesses or driveways as intersections?

Hi, I just want to show the driveways or minor access roads in plan and some of them are quite many so I don't feel the need to design them. Is there a way i can simply show them in plan view without having to do intersection design everywhere? Sometimes I have to explode the the corridor in order to show the minor accesses by just drawing polylines so that the edge of shoulder or embankment is not continuous where am supposed to have a driveway or access road. Is there an easier way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance..

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: Razzmatazz

For corridors through residential areas how I typically handle it is I do two corridors, one for the left side of the road and one for the right side of the road. Then I make two assemblies, one that includes the shoulder and daylight and one for driveways. Then I divide the corridors into regions to switch between the areas with and without driveways. Then I go in later and add featurelines into the surface to grade the driveways. 

(If you do left and right in the same corridor then  you would need an assembly for full cross section, driveway left, driveway right, and driveway both sides. Doing only 'half' a corridor at a time makes things a lot simpler to keep track of.)

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 3 of 15
Jay_B

See my post in This thread for another option that works well for driveways.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 15
losfotos
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

So Kati, are both your right and left corridors tied to the same centerline (baseline) profile?

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 5 of 15
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: losfotos

Yes they both reference the same centerline alignment and profile. 

I usually model them as two fully separate corridors but I suppose you could use the same method and just define them as two different baselines within the same corridor.

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 6 of 15
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

James,

I create "simple" corridors in my roadway P&P that use ETW alignments & polylines as targets, that way the shoulder and daylight don't show. We have a codeset style for Existing Conditions and another codeset style for Proposed Conditions.  You can see the effect in the screencap. These corridors require much less work but display the design intent clearly in Plan view.  I don't use the design corridor to show in plan view at all. I use it for creating cross sections & quantities only.2014-04-14_7-40-45.jpg

And in the case of more simple driveways, I just shade them in my base model that I xref into the roadway, shown below:

2014-04-14_8-01-36.jpg

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 7 of 15
losfotos

Interesting... Never would have occurred to me to use separate corridors for the left and right sides of a street.
Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 8 of 15
Cadguru42
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

@LisaPohlmeyer wrote:

James,

I create "simple" corridors in my roadway P&P that use ETW alignments & polylines as targets, that way the shoulder and daylight don't show. We have a codeset style for Existing Conditions and another codeset style for Proposed Conditions.  You can see the effect in the screencap. These corridors require much less work but display the design intent clearly in Plan view.  I don't use the design corridor to show in plan view at all. I use it for creating cross sections & quantities only.2014-04-14_7-40-45.jpg

And in the case of more simple driveways, I just shade them in my base model that I xref into the roadway, shown below:

2014-04-14_8-01-36.jpg

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Do you make a simple corridor of the existing road & proposed road? I'm not quite following why you would make a corridor for plan and profile sheets and a separate one for cross sections & quantities. In our plan view drawing there is no corridor as it's the nice looking finished plan sheet using polylines, arcs, etc. What's the corridor in your P&P sheets actually used for? 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 9 of 15
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: Cadguru42

It has to do with the type of work we do here. Our mission is roadway maintenance and rehab. So we have existing roadways that we're often improving by several methods:
Widening the pavement section
Realigning the roadway
Creating structure were there was basically none

We have several roadways throughout the county that have limited or no structure, basically created from cattle trails back in the day. Many of these roads now have increased traffic due to the growth rate of our area and now require structure. It helps in the field to see exactly what we're doing. The existing is shaded and the proposed is hatched. We really don't have the need to show all the shoulders & daylighting in the plan view. Our crews use the cross sections to actually build the roadway.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 10 of 15
Cadguru42

@LisaPohlmeyer wrote:
It has to do with the type of work we do here. Our mission is roadway maintenance and rehab. So we have existing roadways that we're often improving by several methods:
Widening the pavement section
Realigning the roadway
Creating structure were there was basically none

We have several roadways throughout the county that have limited or no structure, basically created from cattle trails back in the day. Many of these roads now have increased traffic due to the growth rate of our area and now require structure. It helps in the field to see exactly what we're doing. The existing is shaded and the proposed is hatched. We really don't have the need to show all the shoulders & daylighting in the plan view. Our crews use the cross sections to actually build the roadway.

Wouldn't it just be easier to use polylines and then hatch/shade? It just seems like a lot of extra work to make a corridor just to show shading when that same corridor isn't even the one used for the real design. If you're making alignments and polylines as targets, you've already got most of the linework completed before you even try to make a corridor. I'm just trying to see what advantages you get by making a corridor for this.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 11 of 15
Joe-Bouza

Conditional assemblies
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 12 of 15
Razzmatazz

Hi KMercier, Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the late reply, had a long easter. Smiley Embarassed So, you have to create two seperate corridors (left & right) for each driveways you come across which is avdantageous over a continuous one with seperate regions on each side?

Will try that, but can u please briefly take me through how you grade the driveways using the featurelines, am not well conversant with grading in general Smiley Sad Can you show the slopemarkings/embarkment on the driveways as well?  Cheers!

Message 13 of 15
Razzmatazz

Hey Lisa, thanks. Sorry for the delayed reply, I blame it on the the long Easter. Smiley Indifferent  Your method also looks quite fitting for this scenario so am torn between yours and KMercier's. Since my boss wants to see the centreline & edge of of shoulder as opposed to the ETW, i guess i can use offset alignments or polylines for this, right? The driveways have to be shown as well, so what happens when you reach a drive way? do you create arcs on the ETW alignments or polylines and the corridor still targets all the way?

And can I use your method to display the slopemarkings/embarkments in P&P views. Cheers!

Message 14 of 15
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I think I'm getting a little confused about exactly what you want to show.  A screenshot or simple sketch would be helpful. As I've explained, what we show on our P&P and what we actually build in a "design" corridor is slightly different. The first screen cap shows our P&P sheet, which as you know just shows the ETW. The driveway areas are polyline hatched areas that are in our BASE MODEL drawing, which is xreffed. Our method of construction is to build the roadway, including shoulders & base taper. (there often aren't any shoulders). But if there were, the driveway would start at the EOS. In either case, the driveway is then cut in, this maintains the compaction as much as possible for the shoulder & base taper.  If I understand you correctly, I would think that you could easily add a shoulder width & base taper and show those as well.  You can apply whatever pattern you want for those through the code set style. Remember, the shaded is the existing road and the hatched is the proposed location.

If I were having to show all the features on a P&P, ETW, EOS, Base Taper, ditches, etc. I might go with a different workflow and xref the design corridor into the P&P sheet.  Since we build from cross sections and the shoulder and base taper are fairly consistent, we don't feel the need to show them on P&P.2014-04-24_7-24-37.jpg

Screencap of Driveway section

2014-04-24_7-38-04.jpg

Screen cap of cross sections without driveway

2014-04-24_7-39-31.jpg

There are many methods of construction, design & options to display the design intent. For subdivisions in this area, sections aren't typically used for construction since the design is so consistent. For our roadways, the centerline often meanders within the ROW due to drainage requirements.

Hope this helps.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 15 of 15
Razzmatazz

Hey Lisa, i've added an attachment. The lines in grey represent the existing road from the basemaps and you can see the existing driveways. The Cyan objects are buildings and you can see my design corridor. The light green line along the middle is the centreline,the yellow line is the EOS and you can also see the slope markings(blue) with a flat bottomed side ditch on each side (in green). My problem is now breaking the corridor at the drivesways to show access to the buildings without doing intersection design all over because this is just a small portion of the whole project. The proposed road is on high embarkment since the area is flat and is on black cotton soil. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report