Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissappearing & re-appearing contour style

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
dkdzyn
14029 Views, 10 Replies

Dissappearing & re-appearing contour style

I have created a TIN surface from polyline contour data in Civil3D 2013. My file shows shows that the surface is present both in the Prospector and when I float over the surface and will preview. I assigned a style to the surface, which for my uses is displaying minors at 1' and majors at 10'. My problem is that the contours only display sometimes. That is to say, SOMETIMES I open the file and I can see the surface contours and other times it simply will not display them. There has been NO change to the layer (on, visible and not frozen) nor to the style (not assigned as not showing or any different color) between current and the time I used the file last. Occasionally, when I restart my machine, the contours will display for a few hours worth of work, but when I return the next day, or after a hang, restart my machine again, the contours simply will not show. If I add "show triangles" in the style definition, the triangels will show every time, but not the contours. This is SO frustrating.

In an effort to find some remedy an engineer firend suggested I changed my RAM from 2- 4GB DIMMs to 2- 8GB DIMMS giving me a total of 16GB of RAM, which I did, but it doesn't seem to have made any appreciable difference in performance and the contours still don't show. Does ANYONE have any ideas about why this may be occuring?

Thanks in advance

Darin Kirschner

Civil3D 2013
MacBookPro 17 - 2.4GHz Intel QuadCore i7 (Late 2011 build)
Microsoft Windows 7 64bit
350GB Bootcamp volume
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: dkdzyn

Do you have level of detail switched on (under view ribbon I think)?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 11
Jeff_M

This sounds like Level of Detail is toggled ON. Try toggling it off.

9-28-2012 12-13-20 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 11
dkdzyn
in reply to: neilyj666

Hey! I didn't know about that... That seems to have worked. I'll have to see if it sticks.

THANK YOU!

Darin Kirschner

Civil3D 2013
MacBookPro 17 - 2.4GHz Intel QuadCore i7 (Late 2011 build)
Microsoft Windows 7 64bit
350GB Bootcamp volume
Message 5 of 11
jeremy.2012

I just had the same problem and that seem to be the fix!! Thanks!

Does turning off your level of detail just affect .tin surfaces?

Message 6 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: jeremy.2012

I think so - see http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/05/autocad-civil-3d-2012-preview-surface-level-of-detai...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 11
mdbutikofer
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks.  I have been beating my head against the wall with this problem.  I toggles off level of detail and it solved the problem right away.

Dale

Message 8 of 11
gilomer

Just an amazingly simple solution!

Our office just started using Civil3D a year ago and we couldn't find this solution...

Thanks!

Message 9 of 11
onarvaezo
in reply to: Jeff_M

Wow, no matter the time ...I have the same issue and I can fix,Thanks a lot budies!!!!!

Message 10 of 11
AndrewCadder

Yes this do help!! Solved the problem

Message 11 of 11
kngoy1970
in reply to: AndrewCadder

Whoohoo!  I had the same problem.  and yes problem solved with level of details.  That awesome!  Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report