Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display point data from .shp file

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sbrasher2010
1232 Views, 7 Replies

Display point data from .shp file

Hi everyone, 

I am trying to figure out how to show point labels on the points I imported from a .shp file. I used MAPIMPORT and brought in the associated object data but I don't know how to get it to display in my drawing. I've read some of the other posts, but none of them have really helped. Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

It's better to connect the .shp file through the FDO connections.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 8

I'm sorry, I am really new to this. Can you be more specific? 

Message 4 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: sbrasher2010

There are many ways to get your goal, depending on what you have: is a point or a text shapefile?

Message 5 of 8

Instead of doing a MAPIMPORT, type in MAPWSPACE, then ON to open the Map Task Pane.  Click the Data button, the select Connect to Data.  There you will select Add SHP Connection.  Browse to the .shp file, then click the Connect button.  Once connected, click the Add to Map button.  Then you will be able to "stylize" your connection with labels and such.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 8
sbrasher2010
in reply to: antoniovinci

It is a point shape file. It has a lot of object data associated with it and I just want to show the point location and a few items of object data as text alongside the point in my drawing.

Message 7 of 8
Murph_Map
in reply to: sbrasher2010

I would use the Mapannotation blocks for the labels as long as you used the Mapimport to bring in the shp file and created object data. This would create blocks that Vanilla AutoCAD can see where as using FDO and the data connect you need to export the map/dwg to AutoCAD format before vanilla Autocad can use/see the labels.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 8 of 8
sbrasher2010
in reply to: Murph_Map

Well, I was able to get the labels to show up using the data connect/style method that was recommended. The only problem now is - I don't like the way the text looks. It's all jumbled on top of itself and none of the options allow me to move the labels independantly so that they're all readable. I would like to try your method, Murph. Can you give me more detailed instructions? Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report