Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Precision Problems (hw acceleration?, coordinate system?, ?) HALP

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jmbrowne
251 Views, 2 Replies

Display Precision Problems (hw acceleration?, coordinate system?, ?) HALP

Hey everyone,

I'm having the following display problems on my not very complex file in the Portland area of the Maine SPCS.  Civil 3D 2013 SP2 on Windows 7 x64.

All was going well (even figured out the Grading tools) when this started happening out of the blue:

loss of precision.jpg

If you can't see it, the blue lines on the left are the displayed position of the lines, and the dashed set of lines on the left are the highlighted selections.  I'm not zoomed in terribly far here.  This has brought my modeling to a halt.

I searched for a few solutions.  Turned off hardware acceleration.  Display precision issue got better (still there, not as bad) but this was happening:

hardware acceleration off.jpg

Those contours are supposted to be hidden under the crane, and you can see the solid surfaces have gone bananas.  Lovely.

Just finished updating the dispay drivers (Quadro K1000M in a Dell Precision) and both problems did not change at all.

I have had this start happening before on other machines, C3D installations, and in other coordinate systems.  The best theory I've heard is that this comes from modelling in large coordinate systems.  That makes sense, but I don't see how I can avoid that.  

My survey information is in state plane coordnates and moving it close to the origin defeats the purpose.  I can't continue modelling like this, however.

Any help would be appreciated!  I'm at my wits end with this particular issue in this program.  It seems like we can either work with geo-referenced data or we can model details.  Are these two goals mutually exclusive in Civil 3D???

-Ready to ditch drafting and drive a bulldozer in Portland.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
wfberry
in reply to: jmbrowne

"Bring to the Front" command won't fix this?  That's all I have.

Bill

Message 3 of 3
david.zavislan
in reply to: jmbrowne

For the linework precision issue that is shown in your first image, try changing the visual style to 2D Wireframe.  AutoCAD generates a much more precise display in this mode. 

For the second image, I find that the Shaded visual style does not hide contours.  Whereas the Conceptual and Realistic visual styles will.  Upon further investigation I found that by editing the Shaded visual style I could get it to hide contour lines by changing the Occluded Edges > Show property to 'No'.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report