Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery: workflow for migrating drawing/points/survey database: 2011 to 2013

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
seattlesurvey
450 Views, 2 Replies

Discovery: workflow for migrating drawing/points/survey database: 2011 to 2013

This was originally going to be a post asking for assistance with this process.  Instead, I can offer the procedure we used to achieve this:

We are migrating an active project from 2011 to 2013.  I wanted to migrate the survey drawing with its points and have the points retain an association with the survey database (SDB).

Note:  I wanted to avoid having to re-import the points into a drawing as there are some 60,000+, and those points which have symbols as point markers would all need to be rotated anew (signs, luminaires, valves, etc).  Very time consuming.

Also:  I work with 'survey points' in my drawings because they are immune from being moved - unlike 'cogo' points.

Here's what worked for us:

1.  Create a Windows copy of the 2011 survey drawing, and open it in 2013.

2.  Create a NEW 2013 survey database.

3.  Create a network in said database.

4.  Right-click <network name> ... Import ... Import points from drawing.

5.  Select points, 'OK.'

Survey points in the drawing are now associated with the new 2013 survey database.

IMPORTANT: you must start with a drawing whose points are already 'survey' points - even though they have been previously associated with an unrelated (and in this case a version 2011) survey database.  The act of importing them into the new survey database 'associates' them to this database.  This import action does NOT have the same effect if the points are 'cogo' points; they can populate a survey database via 'import,' but they will remain cogo points and, apparently, unassociated with the database.

Hope this helps someone out there.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mathewkol
in reply to: seattlesurvey

Nice post.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 3
DaveM
in reply to: seattlesurvey

Thanks,

We are making that switch this week.....

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report