Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficult editing profiles

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
533 Views, 17 Replies

Difficult editing profiles

What happened to the Vertical Alignment Editor in Civil3D? Seems a lot more cumbersome to add information. I especially liked the Calculator option in LDT, so you could figure out K values for vertical curves before it actually gets applied to the design file. Dave D.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey Dave; I'll let the gurus address the "Where is it?" portion of your post. I'm sure that they haven't done away with it. It just may take some searching to find where it lives now. As to your cumbersome observation; I watched Lori Copeland at the Civil Express Tour in Anaheim last Thursday start with a Horizontal Alignment; Progress to a Finish Profile; Create an Assembly (Template) for her Corridor Design; Calculate a FG Surface, complete with contours; Calculate a Dirt Quantity; all in 12 minutes, which included time for explaining what she was doing, and fielding questions from the audience. Cumbersome, you say? I, for one, am thinking NOT! What they did try to get across to the crowd, was that some of us would find it necessary to re-think the way we do designs. This kind of re-education is a good thing, IMHO. It's time to take the phrase "But that's the way we've always done it!" and bury it deep in an unmarked grave somewhere in the desert where the shifting sands will forever hide its resting place. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Dave D" wrote in message news:4190db56$1_3@newsprd01... > What happened to the Vertical Alignment Editor in Civil3D? Seems a lot > more cumbersome to add information. I especially liked the Calculator > option in LDT, so you could figure out K values for vertical curves before > it actually gets applied to the design file. > > Dave D. >
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

Dave, If you start the Profile Layout command, and under the left most button on the toolbar, you'll find "Curve Settings...". With this, you can specifiy either Curve Length or K value for Parabolic Crest and Sag curves. Once the profile is added to the project, if you "edit profile" and choose the "Profile Grid View" you can modify the K value, curve length or curve radius, and see the results in the other fields, as well as on the profile. Peter Funk API Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

Ok thanks Peter. This process is something I'll have to get use to. I'm just used to the old way of doing things. Thanks, Dave D. "Peter Funk - Autodesk, Inc." wrote in message news:4190ed85$1_3@newsprd01... > Dave, > > If you start the Profile Layout command, and under the left most button on > the toolbar, you'll find "Curve Settings...". With this, you can specifiy > either Curve Length or K value for Parabolic Crest and Sag curves. > > Once the profile is added to the project, if you "edit profile" and choose > the "Profile Grid View" you can modify the K value, curve length or curve > radius, and see the results in the other fields, as well as on the > profile. > > Peter Funk > API Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks Don. Yeah, those "canned" presentations are great, but while in the midst of actually doing real world design, it takes just a bit longer to work out the numbers. If it only took 12 minutes to do a real design, a lot of people would be out of work. I understand what you are really saying though, and I agree. The software is becoming easier to use and more intuitive. It's sometimes tough to break old ways of doing things. I'll come to terms with it. Thanks, Dave D. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:4190e46f$1_2@newsprd01... > Hey Dave; > > I'll let the gurus address the "Where is it?" portion of your post. I'm > sure that they haven't done away with it. It just may take some searching > to find where it lives now. > > As to your cumbersome observation; > I watched Lori Copeland at the Civil Express Tour in Anaheim last Thursday > start with a Horizontal Alignment; > Progress to a Finish Profile; > Create an Assembly (Template) for her Corridor Design; > Calculate a FG Surface, complete with contours; > Calculate a Dirt Quantity; > all in 12 minutes, which included time for explaining what she was doing, > and fielding questions from the audience. > > Cumbersome, you say? > > I, for one, am thinking NOT! > > What they did try to get across to the crowd, was that some of us would > find it necessary to re-think the way we do designs. This kind of > re-education is a good thing, IMHO. > > It's time to take the phrase "But that's the way we've always done it!" > and bury it deep in an unmarked grave somewhere in the desert where the > shifting sands will forever hide its resting place. > > -- > Don Reichle > Hacker Engineering, Inc. > "King of Work-Arounds" > LDT & CD 2004 > C3D 2004 SP1 > On HP Pavilion a367c > 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM > XP PRO - SP2 > > > "Dave D" wrote in message > news:4190db56$1_3@newsprd01... >> What happened to the Vertical Alignment Editor in Civil3D? Seems a lot >> more cumbersome to add information. I especially liked the Calculator >> option in LDT, so you could figure out K values for vertical curves >> before it actually gets applied to the design file. >> >> Dave D. >> > >
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

Hey Dave; I greatest potential for C3D IMHO is in the arena of preliminary design. When the client is playing the What If? game, we will be able to give them just about real-time answers. That's what is generating most of my excitement. I was able to create the FG profile that would suit the design needs of the project, and then by grip editing the horizontal alignment find the best spot for it WRT the existing ground. I'm prepared to take the flack I expect re. my view of BTTWWADI (see below), but I'm convinced that the process will need tweaking to take advantage of this paradigm shift, as James Wedding was quoted during the Civil Express Tour. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Dave D" wrote in message news:4190f7b8$1_3@newsprd01... > Thanks Don. > > Yeah, those "canned" presentations are great, but while in the midst of > actually doing real world design, it takes just a bit longer to work out > the numbers. If it only took 12 minutes to do a real design, a lot of > people would be out of work. > > I understand what you are really saying though, and I agree. The software > is becoming easier to use and more intuitive. It's sometimes tough to > break old ways of doing things. I'll come to terms with it. > > Thanks, > Dave D. > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > news:4190e46f$1_2@newsprd01... >> Hey Dave; >> >> I'll let the gurus address the "Where is it?" portion of your post. I'm >> sure that they haven't done away with it. It just may take some searching >> to find where it lives now. >> >> As to your cumbersome observation; >> I watched Lori Copeland at the Civil Express Tour in Anaheim last >> Thursday start with a Horizontal Alignment; >> Progress to a Finish Profile; >> Create an Assembly (Template) for her Corridor Design; >> Calculate a FG Surface, complete with contours; >> Calculate a Dirt Quantity; >> all in 12 minutes, which included time for explaining what she was doing, >> and fielding questions from the audience. >> >> Cumbersome, you say? >> >> I, for one, am thinking NOT! >> >> What they did try to get across to the crowd, was that some of us would >> find it necessary to re-think the way we do designs. This kind of >> re-education is a good thing, IMHO. >> >> It's time to take the phrase "But that's the way we've always done it!" >> and bury it deep in an unmarked grave somewhere in the desert where the >> shifting sands will forever hide its resting place. >> >> -- >> Don Reichle >> Hacker Engineering, Inc. >> "King of Work-Arounds" >> LDT & CD 2004 >> C3D 2004 SP1 >> On HP Pavilion a367c >> 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM >> XP PRO - SP2 >> >> >> "Dave D" wrote in message >> news:4190db56$1_3@newsprd01... >>> What happened to the Vertical Alignment Editor in Civil3D? Seems a lot >>> more cumbersome to add information. I especially liked the Calculator >>> option in LDT, so you could figure out K values for vertical curves >>> before it actually gets applied to the design file. >>> >>> Dave D. >>> >> >> > >
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

Typo correction... I see the greatest potential... Yes, I'm Anal Retentive; and your point is? :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:4190fc88$1_2@newsprd01... > Hey Dave; > > I greatest potential for C3D IMHO is in the arena of preliminary design. > When the client is playing the What If? game, we will be able to give them > just about real-time answers. That's what is generating most of my > excitement. > > I was able to create the FG profile that would suit the design needs of > the project, and then by grip editing the horizontal alignment find the > best spot for it WRT the existing ground. > > I'm prepared to take the flack I expect re. my view of BTTWWADI (see > below), but I'm convinced that the process will need tweaking to take > advantage of this paradigm shift, as James Wedding was quoted during the > Civil Express Tour. > > -- > Don Reichle > Hacker Engineering, Inc. > "King of Work-Arounds" > LDT & CD 2004 > C3D 2004 SP1 > On HP Pavilion a367c > 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM > XP PRO - SP2 > > > "Dave D" wrote in message > news:4190f7b8$1_3@newsprd01... >> Thanks Don. >> >> Yeah, those "canned" presentations are great, but while in the midst of >> actually doing real world design, it takes just a bit longer to work out >> the numbers. If it only took 12 minutes to do a real design, a lot of >> people would be out of work. >> >> I understand what you are really saying though, and I agree. The >> software is becoming easier to use and more intuitive. It's sometimes >> tough to break old ways of doing things. I'll come to terms with it. >> >> Thanks, >> Dave D. >> >> "Don Reichle" wrote in message >> news:4190e46f$1_2@newsprd01... >>> Hey Dave; >>> >>> I'll let the gurus address the "Where is it?" portion of your post. I'm >>> sure that they haven't done away with it. It just may take some >>> searching to find where it lives now. >>> >>> As to your cumbersome observation; >>> I watched Lori Copeland at the Civil Express Tour in Anaheim last >>> Thursday start with a Horizontal Alignment; >>> Progress to a Finish Profile; >>> Create an Assembly (Template) for her Corridor Design; >>> Calculate a FG Surface, complete with contours; >>> Calculate a Dirt Quantity; >>> all in 12 minutes, which included time for explaining what she was >>> doing, and fielding questions from the audience. >>> >>> Cumbersome, you say? >>> >>> I, for one, am thinking NOT! >>> >>> What they did try to get across to the crowd, was that some of us would >>> find it necessary to re-think the way we do designs. This kind of >>> re-education is a good thing, IMHO. >>> >>> It's time to take the phrase "But that's the way we've always done it!" >>> and bury it deep in an unmarked grave somewhere in the desert where the >>> shifting sands will forever hide its resting place. >>> >>> -- >>> Don Reichle >>> Hacker Engineering, Inc. >>> "King of Work-Arounds" >>> LDT & CD 2004 >>> C3D 2004 SP1 >>> On HP Pavilion a367c >>> 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM >>> XP PRO - SP2 >>> >>> >>> "Dave D" wrote in message >>> news:4190db56$1_3@newsprd01... >>>> What happened to the Vertical Alignment Editor in Civil3D? Seems a lot >>>> more cumbersome to add information. I especially liked the Calculator >>>> option in LDT, so you could figure out K values for vertical curves >>>> before it actually gets applied to the design file. >>>> >>>> Dave D. >>>> >>> >>> >> >> > >
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

Yes, with Civil3D I see Autodesk is finally leaving behind the DCA methodogy legacy. Thanks for your responses. :-) Dave D. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:4190fec1$1_3@newsprd01... > Typo correction... > I see the greatest potential... > > Yes, I'm Anal Retentive; and your point is? :-) > > -- > Don Reichle > Hacker Engineering, Inc. > "King of Work-Arounds" > LDT & CD 2004 > C3D 2004 SP1 > On HP Pavilion a367c > 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM > XP PRO - SP2 > > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > news:4190fc88$1_2@newsprd01... >> Hey Dave; >> >> I greatest potential for C3D IMHO is in the arena of preliminary design. >> When the client is playing the What If? game, we will be able to give >> them just about real-time answers. That's what is generating most of my >> excitement. >> >> I was able to create the FG profile that would suit the design needs of >> the project, and then by grip editing the horizontal alignment find the >> best spot for it WRT the existing ground. >> >> I'm prepared to take the flack I expect re. my view of BTTWWADI (see >> below), but I'm convinced that the process will need tweaking to take >> advantage of this paradigm shift, as James Wedding was quoted during the >> Civil Express Tour. >> >> -- >> Don Reichle >> Hacker Engineering, Inc. >> "King of Work-Arounds" >> LDT & CD 2004 >> C3D 2004 SP1 >> On HP Pavilion a367c >> 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM >> XP PRO - SP2 >> >> >> "Dave D" wrote in message >> news:4190f7b8$1_3@newsprd01... >>> Thanks Don. >>> >>> Yeah, those "canned" presentations are great, but while in the midst of >>> actually doing real world design, it takes just a bit longer to work out >>> the numbers. If it only took 12 minutes to do a real design, a lot of >>> people would be out of work. >>> >>> I understand what you are really saying though, and I agree. The >>> software is becoming easier to use and more intuitive. It's sometimes >>> tough to break old ways of doing things. I'll come to terms with it. >>> >>> Thanks, >>> Dave D. >>> >>> "Don Reichle" wrote in message >>> news:4190e46f$1_2@newsprd01... >>>> Hey Dave; >>>> >>>> I'll let the gurus address the "Where is it?" portion of your post. I'm >>>> sure that they haven't done away with it. It just may take some >>>> searching to find where it lives now. >>>> >>>> As to your cumbersome observation; >>>> I watched Lori Copeland at the Civil Express Tour in Anaheim last >>>> Thursday start with a Horizontal Alignment; >>>> Progress to a Finish Profile; >>>> Create an Assembly (Template) for her Corridor Design; >>>> Calculate a FG Surface, complete with contours; >>>> Calculate a Dirt Quantity; >>>> all in 12 minutes, which included time for explaining what she was >>>> doing, and fielding questions from the audience. >>>> >>>> Cumbersome, you say? >>>> >>>> I, for one, am thinking NOT! >>>> >>>> What they did try to get across to the crowd, was that some of us would >>>> find it necessary to re-think the way we do designs. This kind of >>>> re-education is a good thing, IMHO. >>>> >>>> It's time to take the phrase "But that's the way we've always done it!" >>>> and bury it deep in an unmarked grave somewhere in the desert where the >>>> shifting sands will forever hide its resting place. >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Don Reichle >>>> Hacker Engineering, Inc. >>>> "King of Work-Arounds" >>>> LDT & CD 2004 >>>> C3D 2004 SP1 >>>> On HP Pavilion a367c >>>> 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM >>>> XP PRO - SP2 >>>> >>>> >>>> "Dave D" wrote in message >>>> news:4190db56$1_3@newsprd01... >>>>> What happened to the Vertical Alignment Editor in Civil3D? Seems a >>>>> lot more cumbersome to add information. I especially liked the >>>>> Calculator option in LDT, so you could figure out K values for >>>>> vertical curves before it actually gets applied to the design file. >>>>> >>>>> Dave D. >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >> >> > >
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

Oh, I see now. I didn't have my "Panorama" view open. That's what I was missing. Got it now. Thanks, Dave D. "Peter Funk - Autodesk, Inc." wrote in message news:4190ed85$1_3@newsprd01... > Dave, > > If you start the Profile Layout command, and under the left most button on > the toolbar, you'll find "Curve Settings...". With this, you can specifiy > either Curve Length or K value for Parabolic Crest and Sag curves. > > Once the profile is added to the project, if you "edit profile" and choose > the "Profile Grid View" you can modify the K value, curve length or curve > radius, and see the results in the other fields, as well as on the > profile. > > Peter Funk > API Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

That's a pretty useful window when you edit alignments and profiles! Peter Funk API Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

And part of the reason we're spec'ing dual monitors for the foreseeable future.... -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D http://au.autodesk.com Sign up now for AU2004!
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Hey Doctor; All of a sudden I'm reminded of the old Console MicroStation workstations of about fifteen years ago. You might be too young to have seen them. IIRC they were about the size of a young Entertainment Center. Seems like they had two monitors sitting side by side above the keyboard and tablet input. Have we come full circle? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "James Wedding" wrote in message news:41914f1f_3@newsprd01... > And part of the reason we're spec'ing dual monitors for the foreseeable > future.... > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005+C3D > http://au.autodesk.com > Sign up now for AU2004! >
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

Indeed James. I'm one of the fortunate ones in my office. I get razzed by my co-workers by having two monitors, but I'll take it. Between ArcGIS, Microstation, and now AutoCAD Civil3D, it is definitely a "must have". Dave D. "James Wedding" wrote in message news:41914f1f_3@newsprd01... > And part of the reason we're spec'ing dual monitors for the foreseeable > future.... > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005+C3D > http://au.autodesk.com > Sign up now for AU2004! >
Message 14 of 18
Scott Wolfe

I need a third monitor. Ive completely filled my second with tool bars and would like more room. My next monitor will have higher resolution.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Hi Scott, I have an otherwise useless lap top which I use as another monitor for handling email and other trivial tasks, freeing up space for serious stuff on the working computer. In my fantasy office I have: Civil 3D - one screen for plan graphics Software toolbars, menus etc.and Veign Note*It - in general one screen Advanced Road Design - one screen for current profile Advanced Road Design - one screen for non-current profiles Another for Email etc. I'm starting on neck and multi focus eye exercises real soon now. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Scott Wolfe" wrote in message news:8765289.1100290800741.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I need a third monitor. Ive completely filled my second with tool bars and would like more room. My next monitor will have higher resolution.
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

My guess is that pretty soon we may have thin film flexible screens which you can "wallpaper" onto your desktop and place and move views wherever you like on it. Sort of be like papers all over your desk. (Just like the old days !!) Doug Boys
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

Hey Laurie; Would one of these help? Sceptre 30" 16:9 HDTV-Ready LCD TV Resolution: 1280 x 768 Brightness: 500 cd/m² Contrast Ratio: 600:1 You could use the money you would have spent on the Chiropractic treatments. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:41953911_2@newsprd01... > Hi Scott, > > I have an otherwise useless lap top which I use as another monitor for > handling email and other trivial tasks, freeing up space for serious stuff > on the working computer. > > In my fantasy office I have: > Civil 3D - one screen for plan graphics > Software toolbars, menus etc.and Veign Note*It - in general one screen > Advanced Road Design - one screen for current profile > Advanced Road Design - one screen for non-current profiles > Another for Email etc. > > I'm starting on neck and multi focus eye exercises real soon now. > > -- > > Laurie Comerford > CADApps > www.cadapps.com.au > > > "Scott Wolfe" wrote in message > news:8765289.1100290800741.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> I need a third monitor. Ive completely filled my second with tool bars > and would like more room. My next monitor will have higher resolution. > >
Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

That's an interesting vision. Sounds kinda' like that movie "Red Planet". They had film stuff like that too that had digital maps on them. Seems kinda' far off though.

I envision the monitors being replaced with 3d, VR-type goggles that the user would wear. That way you can "look" at whatever screen you want to focus on by simply turning your head a few degrees up or down. You could also make each screen as large or small as you'd like.

I would think that's do-able in the near future and it seems that it would be cheaper and a lot less cumbersome than a gang of monitors.

I would think that the only thing that needs to be developed is an interface between the existing goggle technology and the CAD system.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report