Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diameter of pipes from imported .shp

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
troma
655 Views, 6 Replies

Diameter of pipes from imported .shp

I'm slowly figuring out how to import .shp files as a pipe network.  The one part that's escaping me so far is the pipe diameter.  The I made sure the field was mapped to "diameter" in the import dialog.  But when it finishes, they're all 75mm.  Basically, they're all defaulting to the top part in my parts list.

All help appreciated.  This map/GIS stuff is like learning a new language.

Thanks.

Civil 3D 2013, SP2, 64 bit

Win 7 Pro, 64 bit; Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz; 8GB RAM

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
bryan.t.rogers
in reply to: troma

I wrote this blog a while back.  It might help you in your struggle...

http://totalcad.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/importing-gis-data-into-pipe-networks-with-civil-3d-2012/

Message 3 of 7
ToddRogers-WPM

Wow, I just realized I have 2 sign ins.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 7
ToddRogers-WPM

If this helps, accept as solution from the trogers, not toddrogers.  Thanks.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 5 of 7
troma
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

But Todd, how do I know you're the same person?  You just want to take Todd's credit!  Smiley Wink

That blog did it.  Specifically: setting the diameter units (mm in my case).  I hadn't noticed that field at all, and had just left it blank.

Gotta say I have no idea how to follow the first half of the blog post.  What/How/Where/Why is the Map Workspace & Table button?  Doesn't matter, it worked now anyway.

I am wondering about the snap tolerance though. 10 feet (3 metres) seems like a large distance to use.  Might it not connect a pipe to a manhole that wasn't intended?  My system defaulted to 0.00050000 metres (half a millimetre! (and yes, it came in with that many zeros)) and it seemed to work fine.  I was testing by just importing a neighbourhood instead of the whole city, but as far as I can tell there are no pipes or structures left unconnected.

Thanks for the help!

Mark Green

Message 6 of 7
ToddRogers-WPM

The reason I did the Map task pane and table is to get the correct names of the actual items that I needed to fill out in the wizard.  The City here is not very forgiving when it comes to naming items in the .shp file.  The problem is, the people that create the .shp files are sloppy and lazy, hence the large snap tolerance.  If you don't use one, more than likely the pipe will not snap to the manhole.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 7 of 7
troma
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

There was a comment on another blog that I used: you can drag & drop the .shp file straight into the drawing window. It creates funky map objects that I couldn't actually use for anything, but it does let you see what data is attached and what the field names are. You select an object and look at the properties palette to see the data.

I did get one pipe so far that I noticed was not connected to the manhole. It was about 0.50m off. I think I'll set the tolerance to a metre.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report