Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine elevations along slope

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
randcdavidson
904 Views, 29 Replies

Determine elevations along slope

I need to project a surface/grading (or something of that nature) across my berm and have it intersect with the inside bank. This is better explained if you see the attached image. In the plan view you see 4 featurelines. Outside TOE, outside TOB, inside TOB then inside TOE. I need to project the outside TOE across the berm (shown in the section view) then create a new featureline where the line and inside slope of the berm intersect. Note that all the elevation shots vary as does the widths across the berm. What's the best way to do this?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Feckit

Is that command on the ribbon?
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 22 of 30
el.Topo
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

modify - surface [analyze tab (drop down)]
MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 CPU M 620@2.67GHz, 8GB RAM
W7Pro SP1, 64-bit / Civil3D 2016
Message 23 of 30
Neilw_05
in reply to: fcernst

I wasn't aware of that command. It looks like a good solution as well.

The feature I was thinking about is the new Hide Boundary from surface introduced in 2013. I don't know if it would be useful in this scenario though. If it works you would have a dynamic solution.

My help file won't open that topic but here is a link to a blog.

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/04/autocad-civil-3d-2013-new-features-surface-as-a-hide...
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 24 of 30
NMRollo
in reply to: el.Topo

So many ways to skin a cat...and so many cats out there.

Cat Mad

I would use the grading tools. Grade to surface (inside face of berm) with 0% grade, explode grading and hang on to the 3-D polyline that has been generated along the inside face of the berm.

C3D 2012 SP4
Win 7 64 i5
8GB RAM Quadro FX 1800
Message 25 of 30
Neilw_05
in reply to: randcdavidson

I'm curious, what is the purpose of this excercise? I've never had to do anything like this in my experience.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 26 of 30
randcdavidson
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Explanation for Neil. I had recieved a survey point file of some treatment ponds. The Engineer wanted me to determine some voulumes of earth. From the atached image the light-green line represents the OG. The darker green represents the bank of the pond. The yellow hatched area is what the engineer needed to know for a volume. In order to get that I had to take the outside TOE shots (varying elevations) and project them across the the inside face of the pond berm (yellow arrow pointing at). Note that the pond berm varies in width and elevation all around it's premiter.

Can you see a easier way to determine that voulme area than using the grading command?

Message 27 of 30
Joe-Bouza

Based on that description I would think A surface made from the perimeter toe FL compared to the pond would give the volume of the berm. pereimeter-vs- pond ignore the cut results
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 28 of 30
fcernst

Use the Corridor.

The next thing they will ask you for is volume for a portion of the berm to conduct embankment repairs, or construct a spillway.

You will be able to show the engineers and geotechs on your team sections of this varying width berm as they start snooping around more here in the near future.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 29 of 30
randcdavidson
in reply to: fcernst

I'll attempt it but for the record I have yet to do any corridor modeling other than an occasional tutorial. I'll see how it goes.
Message 30 of 30
fcernst

Good job.

You are now well on your way to being the Office Hero, where you will start realizing signicant pay raises due to your valuable abilities.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report