Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Descritor Key making unused layers in Civil3d 2011

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dlknoll3d
380 Views, 3 Replies

Descritor Key making unused layers in Civil3d 2011

I made custom descriptor keys to cover all of the survey codes we use out in the field. I originally did this in Civil3d 2008. I am now using Civil3d2011. When I import points from a text file or .csv file layers are made for all the descriptor keys even if no points were brought in that had that matching descriptor.

I thought I could purge the unused layers but they show as being used and I am not able to purge or delete the layers. 

When I import a text file for example that has many codes but not AR I will get a layer like POINTS_AR that I cannot get rid of.

CODE- AR (ACCESS ROAD)

STYLE - CL-ACCESS ROAD

with marker in layer POINTS_AR

with label in layer POINTS_AR

Descriptor Key Format -$*

Is there a setting in the descpriptor keys that I am missing or in the toolspace that would let me only make layers for desciptors that match or are brought in? I end up with alot of layers that do not have any data and are not needed and I do not know how to get rid of them. I know that there are many settings and feel fortunate that it works but I just can't fine tune the total output.

I tried messing with the match on descriptor keys True/False and Disable Description Keys True/False in the point creation.

I am hoping this is a simple fix but I may have opened a can of worms. I have tried several searches on this but nothing really answered my concerns.

thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Maine-iac
in reply to: dlknoll3d

Your layers are already "set" into your drawing because they show up in your point styles and in your Descriptor Key set file. Search "Purge unused styles" and you'll find info on getting rid of unused styles so you can purge your unused layers.

Civil 3D 2022.1
Windows 10 x64
HP ZBook 15 G5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
32 GB RAM
Message 3 of 4
dlknoll3d

After looking up and trying a few things found in purging unused styles and layers is appears this in not possible in

ACAD Civil 3d yet. I tried the -purge and a few other things but to no avail. Maybe i need to set up a different way for points to be brought in and skip styles altogether if possible. I guess I will put up with the extra 300 layers not used sometimes. Sometimes the scrolling through all these layers is a nuisance.

thanks for any more suggestions.

Message 4 of 4
andram-teco

You will also have to delete your Description Key Sets, then the unused points layers will be purged. The only downside is if you're going to be adding more points, there will be no key sets for Civil to use. Then again, you can always reimport the Key Sets if you need them again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report