Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Description Keys

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
spratorius
424 Views, 5 Replies

Description Keys

I'm trying to make a description key set for our surveyors and am running into a problem with one description. For an iron rod they will use the description CH*IR 3/8 W/CAP. I cannot get the point to come in using the right point and label styles. I'm sure it's something easy that I'm overlooking, but I'm stumped. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: spratorius

i think that the * is confusing it and should be removed.

Not really sure what you mean with the description key set here, can you explain the logic in "CH*IR 3/8 W/CAP" in terms of Key Code / $1 / $2 / Desc ?
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 6
spratorius

That's just the format that the surveying company uses. I thought about the * throwing things off too, and removed it from the point file before importing, but that didn't work either. I'll keep working at it.
Message 4 of 6
rl_jackson

The forward slash is a field escape (in statdard linework code set) so it's not reading anything after the slash.

You may need to adjust the linework code set to suit your needs.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
IanMcClain

What is the exact code you are using in your description key?

Ian McClain
Message 6 of 6
Jay_B

Have you looked at the instructions for Description Key Format ?

As an example if you setup a Desc Key format of CH $+ the resulting description becomes CH IR 3/8 W/CAP.

We use above format for desc key format, this way it captures all after the / as described below and appends it to the description.

This happens if the ascii file contains the field code escape / (default in linework code set for Field code escape) used to append comments to description and would be entered as  CH/ IR 3/8 W/CAP.

The forward  slashes in your example will not work unless you customized the Linework Code Set to use a different character than /. One possibility would be to use an underscore such as CH IR 3_8 W_CAP.

The software is using this character for the Field code escape.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report