Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Description Key Set w/ Linework Coding

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
tremblay
937 Views, 7 Replies

Description Key Set w/ Linework Coding

We are using the linework coding to process our figures and the survey .txt file provided to me uses codes to begin lines with "+" & "-".  For example, driveways are coded + DR1 for begin and - DR1 to end the line.   The linework process works fine, its when I go to display the point in the description keys that are causing me problems.  All the points that are in between the begin and end points display to the appropriate style because they are coded as DR*.   The begin and end do not display correctly as the + & - isn't being recognized in the description key.   I tried many alternate ways such as *DR*, + DR*, - DR*, with nothing working.

Is there a different format I need to be using?   There are way to many points to go thru to move the + & - behind the code.

Please help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: tremblay

As long as the linework coding matches These examples using the space delimiter following the code DR code your Description Key will match properly.

Here's an example PN,N,E,EL,D ascii (346 = numeric code).

2782,169268.908,507599.314,879.638,346 B
2785,169261.696,507587.971,878.589,346 BC
2786,169259.561,507585.992,878.141,346 OC
2794,169269.275,507599.774,879.691,346 EC
2808,169169.216,507593.598,876.865,346 E

Hope this helps.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
wetsnow13

I think you'd be best served doing a "find and replace" find "+ DR1" and replace "DR1 +".

You could also do a find and replace using find " " and replace ",".  Then export your file out to a txt (with comma delimiter).  Then copy and paste into excel and each point #, N, E, El, +/-, desc should be put into its own column, then create a new column using an if statement to marry the desc column and the +/- column.  I don't know exactly what the statement should read, but you should be able to figure it out fairly quickly if you or anyone in your office knows excel.  Then save as a csv and import back into civil3d through the survey toolspace.

Alternatively you could do a point group and set the style overrides.  This can be dangerous and is certainly a bad habit to get into, but can also work when you run out of options.

Message 4 of 8
tremblay
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay_B. . . all the descriptions call for the delimiter and begin/end to follow the field code.   the survey i have its at the front.    I have + TC and I'm only seeing that it will work if its TC +.  (The field crew uses + instead of B to begin).

I can go thru the points files and change all of these but I thought there would be a better way rather than take the time to do that.

Message 5 of 8
Jay_B

"I have + TC and I'm only seeing that it will work if its TC +.  (The field crew uses + instead of B to begin)."

Yes I understand your dilemma, and the bigger issue is to collect the data in a manner that allows for the  importing of data without manipulation of the ascii file after the fact.

Once a Data Collection process is adopted then this issue goes away.

At this point with the survey being done, I'm not ware of any easy fix beyond find & replace to get the format to match the coding guidelines in help.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 8
IanMcClain

Linework prefixes can pick up multiple lines in one description, the order does not matter as long as the first characters match.

Description Keys only look at the characters before the first space and must be an exact match, unless wildcards are used.

Ian McClain
Message 7 of 8
tremblay
in reply to: IanMcClain

IanMcClain - Thanks for the response, and yes the descriptions keys are what is my problem.  The figure prefix is workin just fine with + TC coding.

If description keys only look at the characters before the first space unless wildcards are used. . .then what wildcard can I use to have it display a code + TC just the same as TC?

Message 8 of 8
IanMcClain

'+ TC' is being interpreted by the description key as + becuase the space is ending the code.

You can try some of the wildcards in the link below, but you need to put the + after the TC.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-8AA5D606-5D3D-49F3-B34B-05FA834A39D-756.htm

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report