Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defpoints layer not selectable

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
yasin2ray
30952 Views, 33 Replies

Defpoints layer not selectable

I just drew a polyline on my defpoints layer, but now the polyline is not selectable. I have had this happen before with a different file and couldn't fix it then either.

All the settings/layer states look fine, but as soon as I add something to the defpoints layer it's untouchable.

Not an urgent question, but definately something I need to figure out since it keeps happening to me!

Thanks!

a

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010
33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34

Please remember these are professional forums and as such deserve a professional decorum when participating.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 22 of 34

I agree in part with the instruction to not leave objects on layer 0 or defpoint layers for your active model.

As I see it, these are template layers to start with, copy/rename to whatever purpose they will have in your model.

Hence, use defpoints as the template for creating layers you don't want to plot, like viewports

Message 23 of 34

a dynamic Block that I inherited for this project is a combination of a multi-sized bracket (size change is applied by visibility pull-down) and leader with points extending out from the bracket for lining up other objects or text. 

The points are on the defpoints layer and I never saw a need to move them to another layer. 

However, am now considering moving them to their own layer because in some drawings, even with defpoints layer turned off and frozen, the points that are embedded in this block are visible and selectable.

(caveat, I manage more than a thousand drawings that use this block and others have access to and use, so while I have authority to make this change, it does not mean I won't make enemies)

Message 24 of 34
blmsequim
in reply to: yasin2ray

Hi

I had same issue after changing defpoint layer color. Changed color back to white, Selected all defpoint objects and lines and changed color again all is well. 

good luck

Message 25 of 34
carygluf
in reply to: mmg266

I use Defpoints for almost all of my Viewports (and have ever since I discovered the wonders of PaperSpace), so I needed a solution, not a workaround. Somehow it was connected to another Frozen layer (not 0). Just start unfreezing layers until you find the right one.

Message 26 of 34
g.lancellotta

Thank you!!! I had this problem for years, so I just don't use the Defpoints layer.

@mmg266 wrote:

I just had this problem. Turning on Layer 0 in the model didn't help, BUT if you open the Layer Properties Manager, right click on Layer 0 and select VP Thaw Layer in All Viewports, this does it. Seems if Layer 0 is frozen in your layouts, it locks the Defpoint layer in the model.  Go figure.

I use the Defpoints layer all the time and it's not usually a problem.  I use it to create grids to lay out elevations, create insertion points for blocks, etc. 🙂

I got into this new office were people uses this layer to set up layouts and your tip just saved me. Can't thank you enough the time that you saved me! 

Message 27 of 34
codee

As a user you should never be directly using defpoints for ANYTHING!

Message 28 of 34
KDAddison
in reply to: BrianHailey

Here's a twist on that: I have a drawing from an outside source that has a bunch of linework that I assume is on DEFPOINTS, I don't know because I cannot select any of it.  All layers are on, unfrozen, unlocked, un-vp frozen, and set to plot.  What do I do now?

Message 29 of 34
codee
in reply to: KDAddison

@KDAddison wrote:

Here's a twist on that: I have a drawing from an outside source that has a bunch of linework that I assume is on DEFPOINTS, I don't know because I cannot select any of it.  All layers are on, unfrozen, unlocked, un-vp frozen, and set to plot.  What do I do now?

You post a copy of the DWG so we can examine it.

Message 30 of 34
cammander

Yep, if you like using defpoints, go for it.  In addition to unfreezing layer "0", also toggle on and off the various VP freeze-thaws to all on, even if they show up as on already.

I still think keyboarding it is faster than the newer interfaces introduced in 2010. Of course, I learned keyboarding from the old school DOS versions of AutoCAD R9... you know, when real CAD jockeys ate Auto-lisp for breakfast 🙂

Message 31 of 34
warrenpratt

I just ran across this issue and the solution that worked for me was rename Defpoints to Defpoints-old and (after making another layer the current layer) then turning off, freeze it and making it printable and then turn on and unfreeze it back again and only then was I able to select the old Defpoint items. I went back and recreated a new Defpoint layer and everything was back to working fine

Message 32 of 34

Just type "layon" & "laythaw" command and press enter while in layout  viewport.
Now, the defpoints layer and viewports can be selected and manipulated.
Thank you

Message 33 of 34
jrepathQMSMW

Thanks for that. I've been working on some AutoCAD drawings that people were assigning to defpoints (I create a non-printable "Viewport" layer as I live by the holy commandment "Thou shall not use defpoints"). Couldn't adjust the viewport at all. found your fix about thawing 0 layer. Worked. Appreciate it.

Message 34 of 34
cwyattATMP9

Audit and then try again. Just worked for me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report