Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defpoints layer not selectable

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
yasin2ray
30764 Views, 33 Replies

Defpoints layer not selectable

I just drew a polyline on my defpoints layer, but now the polyline is not selectable. I have had this happen before with a different file and couldn't fix it then either.

All the settings/layer states look fine, but as soon as I add something to the defpoints layer it's untouchable.

Not an urgent question, but definately something I need to figure out since it keeps happening to me!

Thanks!

a

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
dsigman
in reply to: yasin2ray

Try turning on layer 0. Should fix the problem.

Message 3 of 34
BrianHailey

A better solution would be to not use defpoints. Why are you using defpoints? Most likely because it won't plot. In the last several releases you can set any layer to not plot and so the use of defpoints is no longer needed. Why do I recommend you don't use defpoints? Well, you already found one. The other reason, if you were to shelve this drawing for 6 months and then come back to it. All that stuff that's on the defpoints layer, why is it there? You probably will forget but, if you have a layer set to not plot called, "notes to drafters", then you know what that stuff is.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 34
dsigman
in reply to: BrianHailey

That's how i've been handling it for years. I have a no-plot layer for my survey calc's and one for surveyor's notes. Occasionally I'll use defpoints to make a hatch boundary. I suppose I could add a no-plot layer for hatching but it's easy enough to use defpoints. I never touch layer 0 so it's not a problem.

Message 5 of 34
owenmull
in reply to: dsigman

And the Cad Guru said unto his minions, "Thou shalt not use DEFPOINTS!"

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Cad people... always cracking me up. Thanks for a little humor with this one while I'm not having a total breakdown.

I tried turning on the 0 layer, but Defpoints still misbehaved a bit (invisible or visible but untouchable).

I'll go with the suggestion to make my own "no plot" layer and turn on the 'no plot' setting. 

Thanks ya'll!

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010
Tags (2)
Message 7 of 34
mmg266

I just had this problem. Turning on Layer 0 in the model didn't help, BUT if you open the Layer Properties Manager, right click on Layer 0 and select VP Thaw Layer in All Viewports, this does it. Seems if Layer 0 is frozen in your layouts, it locks the Defpoint layer in the model.  Go figure.

I use the Defpoints layer all the time and it's not usually a problem.  I use it to create grids to lay out elevations, create insertion points for blocks, etc. 🙂

Message 8 of 34
wfberry

Hey Brian:

As you know, I am older and probably more set in my ways than you.  Just wap me with a wet noodle the next time you see me.  I have been using defpoints since day one with no problems as far as I know.

I can't help it.

Smiley Happy

Bill

Message 9 of 34
BrianHailey
in reply to: wfberry

"With great age comes great stubborness"

I'm just waiting for the next replacement for C3D comes out and then I'll be all like, "Well in Civil 3D you did it this way. How come I can't do it that way in this new software?"

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 34
onsionsi1

you can edit the layer name and change it from defpoints to defpointse as an example and put select your object and do what you like to do and eventually rename the depoints layer to the default name to use it again

Thank you.

Sadek

Please do not forget approve as solutions and Points
to Remember Please Accept as Solution and Kudos Please
Message 11 of 34
Murph_Map

@BrianHailey wrote:

"With great age comes great stubborness"

You got that right. Now just get a couple old men together and see how much stubborness there is. No one has to worry about Bill and I opening up a shop together we could never agree on a name for it. I like MurphBerry Mapping and Survey but Bill doesn't. BTW I don't touch the defpoint layer either.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 12 of 34
mmg266
in reply to: Murph_Map

You guys are hilarious! And I naively thought I was being helpful! 😄 Mandy Hyslop DID (South Africa) Interior Designer d +974.33.20.91.86 Kasian Qatar Architecture & Interior Design Confidentiality Notice ? The information in this email, including any attached documents, is confidential and is intended solely for the named recipient(s). The information may be legally privileged and if you are not the intended recipient be advised that any use, disclosure, copying, forwarding or distribution of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete this message including any attachments. Thank you.
Message 13 of 34
aa_hosseini

doesn't work.

Message 14 of 34
dalleearchitect
in reply to: onsionsi1

After reading all the discussions I still couldn't find a way to select a polyline drawn on the defpoints layer. Layer 0 on, right clicked Layer Properties Manager dialog box and turned all layers on and thawed, etc. etc. Then I tried an experiment. 

I use defpoints layer to create a footprint of a floor plan and then list it to get a quick, accurate total area. I draw the polyline on defpoint layer after freezing everything except it and the floor plan. I have also been able to select the polyline until I upgraded to 2016 version. My experiment consisted of leaving all the layers on and drawing the polyline on the defpoints layer. I now could select it. This means anything draw on the defpoints layer when the 0 layer is frozen stays frozen. This is a change from the previous version of Autocad 2010.

Message 15 of 34
akirawood

This is not a solution to the problem, this is a work around and a rant. See below for the correct solution that instructs on how to unfreeze layer 0 in all viewports. The 2 layers "0" and "DEFPOINTS" are native autocad holdovers from the early days and there seems to be a relationship between the 2 layers in the depths od ACAD code. 

Message 16 of 34
karenhen

I had this problem and it helped to have Layer 0 thawed and Defpoints as not the current layer.

I also made a new no-plot layer just in case. 

Message 17 of 34
bsegafredo

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION! 

Instead of criticizing the person's method of drawing, why not help them out??

Message 18 of 34
bsegafredo

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION! I don't get why its marked that way!

Brian,
Instead of criticizing the person's method of drawing, why not help them out??
Message 19 of 34
benvHCTLA

That's the one, thank you.

Message 20 of 34
phpennington
in reply to: benvHCTLA

I HATE USING DEFPOINTS BUT MOST OTHERS USE AND UNDERSTAND IT.
GO TO MODEL SPACE, LAYER MANAGER, SELECT DEFPOINTS AND 0 AND SET FOR ALL VIEWPORTS.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report