Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with intersections

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
RalphBrown99
1037 Views, 10 Replies

Dealing with intersections

Hi:

Just starting my intersections experience. I tried to use the wizard that I found at Home Ribbon > Intersections > Create Intersection. I set up the Offset parameters, Curb Return parameters and I attached the intersection to the Primary Road (Corridor). In order to check the final outcome I created 2 surfaces based in the corridors that I am conecting and it looks that there is no match! In the profile of the intesection -attached to this post- there are the 2 surfaces totally overlappedat at the end. So how is possilbe to create an intersection that join the two corridors in only one surface?

Thanks 

Rafael

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
sboon
in reply to: RalphBrown99

Create two corridors with two surfaces.  Create another surface and paste the two corridor surfaces into it.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 11
RalphBrown99
in reply to: sboon

Hi Sboon:

Lets review the process:

1) I have two corredor to intersect -In fact they share a point in their centerlines-. I create 2 separate surfaces from them

2) Create another surface and paste the two original surfaces into it -I have data overlapping.....which one prevail?

3) Create the intersection....which setting do I have to set up properly in the wizard?

Thnaks

Rafael

Message 4 of 11
sboon

It looks like you are designing an intersection where the main road crown is maintained, and the side road will transition to match that.  The intersection wizard will ensure that your secondary profile matches at the intersection point, but it's up to you to make sure that it matches at the edge of the main road lanes.  The wizard will also generate profiles which can be used to tie the regions together but you may have to apply them to your corridor targets for this to work.

Post the drawing if you like.  It will be easier for us to help you that way.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 11
RalphBrown99

Hi Sboon:

Thanks for your time. For sure Intersection is not my main topic -actually I am not a master in Civil 3D- so I have a couple of questions:

1- How to make sure that the created intersection use the same assemblies and subassemblies of the roads that I am connecting. It looks that even in plan view there is no match, so I think that even I can make the lane to be coincident the curbs looks totally diferent. Any ideas?

2- After the wizard a lot of alignemt are generated...do I have to manipulate so I am going to design based in all these alignements? I thought at the beginning that they were only for check

I am sending the file that I I was working originally. You can see  for profiles. I am trying to connect Road A and Road B and both profiles have a green point indicating the point of intersection. I hope this helps

For sure thanks in advance

Rafael Moreno

Message 6 of 11
sboon

OK now I see the problem.  Before creating the intersection you should have edited the existing corridor regions to make space for the stuff that the intersection wizard has added.  Right now your Solterra - (6) region runs through the intersection, so you have assemblies overlapping.  Split that region and pull the boundaries back.  For the Road B corridor you also need to pull the region boundary back to the south.

The surface boundary for Road A should be changed to corridor extents.

Clipboard01.png

Here's what it looks like when I made the changes.  You could have also created a single corridor with two baselines, pulled back the region boundaries and then used the wizard to insert the intersection.  That way you would have only one surface.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 11
RalphBrown99

Hi Sboon: It looks that your answer is OK but now I AM creating more problems for you!!! First I am going to describe the process steps:

I created two different corridors based in Road A and Road B

I splited the region that is highlighted in the moment that I choose corridor A in three sectors

Delete the space that is going to be occupied by the intersection

Pull corridor B to south

Created the intersection

Match the region A and B with the intersection

Finally I got a Layout similar to yours and I decided to check the profile, creating Surfaces based in the corridors and the intersection. You can see the result in the CAD version. I figured out that I have to display the surfaces generated by the intesrection and Surface B only. Now I have my first question:

1- How is the intersection wizzard assigning the Assemblies and Sub Assemblies...they are not matching the points that are supposed the be the joints of the corridors with the intersection -at least in the file that I am sending to you-

2-  How is possible to create one surface out of these regions-corridor surfaces? If I use the intersecton surface and Surface B no problem but if I use Surface A on top, its profile overlaps whatever I have. Is not possible to create surface according to corridor regions?

Thanks

Rafael Moreno 

Message 8 of 11
sboon

When you create the intersection corridor you use an assembly set, usually made by copying and editing the same assemblies that you used for the rest of the road.  Once you've done it a few times you can develop a library of assemblies for intersections to suit your local standards.

Clipboard01.png

You can edit the alignments and profiles directly if that's how you want to work, or you can change settings in the intersection properties to update it.  Please note however the limits of the intersection wizard, it's really only good for simple stuff.

There are several other resources for learning intersections.  Try the tutorials available through the help system or check the recorded classes on the Autodesk University website.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 11
RalphBrown99

Hi Sboon:

Hi hope that you have enough rest for me last week! As you mentioned, I created my own set of assemblies and sub assemblies. The problem now is that I loose the links of the interior of the intersection -Please refer Intersections to check4.dwg- 

Because of that I tried to go back and change the assembly set that the program has by default in the  moment of the intersection creation but it looks that the corridor offsets do not make sense -Please refer Intersections to check3.dwg- Even that I tried to change the properties of the default assemblies, they do not reflect in the corridor it self. It does not matter if I tried to update and rebuild the intersection corridor and surface of the junction.

Summarizing I have two questions:

1) How to create the links of the interior of my intersection design with my own assemblies

2) How to change the default assemblies with the possibility to update my intersection - corridor

Thanks

Rafael

PS one more question: I am checking the surface generated by the intersection and it shows a jump around the station 0+010 why??

Message 10 of 11
sboon

For question 1 - you have created assemblies for the curb returns without subassemblies for the area between the centerline and the curb alignment.  You have also used the basic lane subassemby.  This has no targeting ability and cannot be used for intersections.  Your intersections have been created with no offset parameters and it appears that you have used the centerline alignments where you should have created and used offset alignments.  To complicate things even further you have three copies of the intersection object at the Road A-B junction.

For question 2 - your corridor has been built with incorrect targets.  Your lane widths have been set to target the centerline - this means that they have zero width.  As noted above you're missing the offset alignments.

At this point you should probably check the Autodesk University website and search for recorded classes on intersections.  Youtube is also a good resource.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 11
RalphBrown99

Hi Sboon:

Thanks for your comminment. Finally I got something decent. It looks that there are just a few assemblies as a lane with the capability of fill the interior part of the intersection. That is why that I am going to use always the assemblies that the program creates by default everytime the wizard is used. So my question would be how is possible to create a customize assembly with the same capabilities, but maybe this is topic for another posting. 

I localized Youtube videos but I cuold not locate Autodesk University videos...do you have the link?

Just in case,  I am sending you a file with the final intersection and a couple of sections on the top of that. In order to check the intersection, I rotate the sample line 0+340.00 so I could see a profile close to the centerline of the primary road -Road A- It looks that the with of the lane and grade of the cross section is set up in the Intersection wizard and it does not have anything to do with the assemblies settings isn't

Just in case you have any comment please let me know

Thanks

Rafael

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report