Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daylight to offset with maximum slope

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
DenverDave
2413 Views, 15 Replies

Daylight to offset with maximum slope

It seems simple but i can't find the right perameters.

I need to daylight to an offset, to create a clear zone/fall zone, but it must have a maximum slope of 6:1. If no daylight is found at the offset and maximum slope, then grade at the maximum slope to the offset then daylight to the target suface at a steeper slope.

IT SEEMS LIKE IT SHOULD BE EASY BUT I CAN'T FIND IT.  

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

I don't see any of the standard SA that would do this. The daylight standard gets close, but would have a fixed clear zone slope. 

You should be able to make it with Subassembly Composer pretty quickly.

1. Set a test point on the surface at the offset

2. Check the slope to the test point

A. If it is below 6:1 add a daylight point and link

B. If it isn't, add a point at 6:1, and then daylight from there

I'm not sure what you need in a cut.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 16
sboon
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

It may not be possible using a single sub,  but it's definitely possible to do it in an assembly.

Clipboard12.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 16
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

I considered that, but I don't think that doesn't provide the solution where you can daylight at less than 6:1. I think this could be done with a pretty simple PKT file made with Subassembly Composer.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 16

Although it may be time to learn the Subasembly Composer, I currently have no idea how to use it. I am hoping for a solution using some combination of the standard assemblies.

Message 6 of 16
DenverDave

Can you provide a little more detail about your sugested solution? Can this solution be adapted to daylight at less than 6:1 at the specified offset?

Message 7 of 16

Here is a quick version of a SA that should do what you are looking for in Fill. I didn't add link and point codes, but it might get you started.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 16
sboon
in reply to: DenverDave

If we assume for the moment that we're only dealing with the scenario on the left side of your sketch then there are several subs which might work.

1. LinkOffsetOnSurface would always tie in at the max offset distance, but the daylight point could be anything above the max. 6/1 limit.  It could easily end up being a cut slope also.
  2. DaylightInsideROW would allow you to specify a typical slope, which would get steeper, up to the max if necessary.
  3. DaylightMaxOffset or DaylightMaxWidth are similar to 2.
  4. DaylightToOffset appears to have the same behaviour as 1, but with parameters for lined materials and rounding.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 16
david.zavislan
in reply to: DenverDave

Steve's solution will work.  His post needs more detail.  What his image shows is that the conditional subassembly is moved over X feet.  There you can test the depth of cut or fill.  We know what this needs to be - based on the slope times the offset.  At the ends of the conditonal sub assemblies, Move the remaining subassemblies back X feet.

Instead of moving subassemblies, I use generic links with the omit option set to Yes.  That helps me keep the pieces connected correctly, and allows for easy editing of the offset distances.  The following image shows this with the width and slope generic link.

Conditional-5.JPG

The final assembly would look something like this:

Conditional-4.JPG

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 10 of 16
sboon
in reply to: david.zavislan

David jumped ahead of me to the complete solution, rather than a step by step discussion.

His graphics are better too. Smiley Wink

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 16
peterfunkautodesk

Well I applaud the creative use of conditionals and generic links, take a look at the PKT file that I posted. The logic inside it is pretty straight forward and should be a good starting point for a solution.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 16

I imported the .pkt file as a subassembly and it seem to import fine, it gave it a "tool pallete button" with the associated name and such. However there where no parameters to adjust inside, it appeared to be an "empty shell".  Furthermore, using it produced and error

[DaylightWithClearZone was created with Subassembly Composer, please visit Autodesk website (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334440&linkID=9240698) to download the enabler extension.]  (Source: DaylightWithClearZon

Looks like i need to download an extension. I will try to find what i need at the website.

Message 13 of 16

I made that with the 2012 Subassembly Composer. It doesn't have any parameters for adjusting the offset etc, but those could be added.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 16

can you upload your subassembly because the page didn't found

Please do not forget approve as solutions and Points
to Remember Please Accept as Solution and Kudos Please
Message 15 of 16
wfberry
in reply to: onsionsi1

Sadek:

It was a download and should have been downloaded to your browser's download directory (folder).

Bill

Message 16 of 16
onsionsi1
in reply to: wfberry

Bill

See attached file, that is what i got

Please do not forget approve as solutions and Points
to Remember Please Accept as Solution and Kudos Please

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report