Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daylight Sub-assembly

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
521 Views, 17 Replies

Daylight Sub-assembly

I'm looking for a sub-assembly (daylighting) that will tie my 4:1 side slopes off a road into the existing ground elevations.

Pat
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
tscheevel
in reply to: Anonymous

If everthing is a fill, the LinkSlopeToSurface will work fine.
If you need one that puts a ditch in a cut and just adds a straight daylight link in a fill, take a look at DaylightStandard, or DaylightGeneral.
Each subassembly has it's own help page in the subassembly help that helps explain it's behavior.
Message 3 of 18
annw2

From the 2 projects I have done so far,

If you have a cut with no ditch, use the daylight general.

I can't seem to use daylight standard without a ditch even if I turn it off.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 4 of 18
mikeevans

To eliminate the ditch you need to change the foreslope/backslope and bottom width to be zero. the ditch is then not created.
Message 5 of 18
annw2

Not when I tried it.

The ditch was wide flat and shallow but still there. I either missed a setting or found a bug.

I also have not had luck with the link slope to elevation yet.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 6 of 18
mikeevans

Ahh should have read more closely.

Why does the "BasicSideSlopeCutDitch" not work for you? all you want is a cut and fill batter and that will do it. Again you need to change the forslope/back etc to zero.

I think that you are over complicating it using the daylight standard etc.
I have got to admit I haven't really used that one myself yet, I think it has a specific use to do with ditch creation. - not sure.
Message 7 of 18
davidokonewski8100

Max width offsett works for us here. We set the max offset to something stupid like 700' and then set our target slopes and then the surface and it works perfect.
Message 8 of 18
annw2

I don't recall that sub assembly from 2008 sp1.

I have been reading down the lists and trying to figure out which daylighting sub assembly does what.

I have done 2 projects & used 2 different day light sub assemblies.

i.e I want to do this - OK I couldn't figure out what numbers to type into this one, lets try the next sub assembly down the list.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 9 of 18
annw2

I don't remember that setting either.

Can you specify which sub assembly & what the 700 value is supposed to be telling the computer?
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 10 of 18
Sinc

DaylightMaxOffset.

If you use DaylightMaxOffset with a very large offset value, it effectively works the same as LinkSlopeToSurface, except that it works in both cut and fill situations. The LinkSlopeToSurface subassembly only does one or the other.
Sinc
Message 11 of 18
mikeevans

Strange it's been there since R2005 from memory and is ont something to do with a service pack. It's on the (Units) Basic toolpallete. mind you I am using the Brit version.

Try looking at the following file. I have included an assembly set up to look from the baseline to the surface at a cut/fill slope of 1:4 (4:1) I have turned the ditch off.

I'm not really sure what it is you are trying to acomplish, please send a file or image of your assembly and layout with a description or hand drawn "what you want" sketch.
Message 12 of 18
tscheevel

On my installation, BasicSideSlopeCutDitch is on the Imperial Basic tab of my tool palettes.
If you don't want a ditch to be created in a cut situation, you don't want DaylightStandard. It will accept a zero ditch width but gets goofy if you try to set inslope width to zero.
Some of the daylight subassemblies have so many parameters that they get confusing at first. After some experimentation and study of Subassembly Help, they get easier to understand.
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

Why not use DaylightMultiIntercept and set the intercepts to 1? I use this one all the time for cut fill to daylight without having to mess with setting the ditch to 0 in the other assemblies.

Jeff Phillips
KWC Engineers
C3D 2007sp3
Message 14 of 18
annw2

Attachment wouldn't open on old slow computer at home. Will try faster computer in office on Monday.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 15 of 18
annw2

No wonder I couldn't find it. I was looking only on Daylighting tab for daylighting.

This sounds like Urban sidewalk, which I have used, on the structures tab.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 16 of 18
annw2

I haven't tried that one yet.

This has been a great discussion of various options and which ones work where. That is what I was hoping for when I started post.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 17 of 18
annw2

I'll agree with the goofy and the many parameters making things difficult to understand.

I wish Autodesk would start with the simple options on top & work their way down to more complicated.

Usually simple is the most appropriate.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 18 of 18
davidokonewski8100

Max Width Offset ... with the Max offset set to say 700 and a target slope of 3:1 you'd have an elevation change of say 233' ... here in Delaware we get about 5-10 feet of elevation change on every job IF we are lucky.

That's how we use it and as said before it works very well for us.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report