Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Date Shortcut dates - Help me understand

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
deltacoolguy
416 Views, 2 Replies

Date Shortcut dates - Help me understand

Date Shortcut dates - Help me understand this.

I have a project that was started by someone else in  another office.  The dates for the data shortcuts in the file manager are driving me crazy.  Example...

1) Date modified: 3/4/2014 (date other person started project)

2) Date created: 4/25/2014 (date I took over project, I presume the date it was put on my office's server)

3) Date last saved: 3/4/2014

I made changes to alignments today (6/16/2014).  Go into the file manager, and there's no indication that the data shortcuts changed or were updated, BUT YET when I go into a plan file where the alignments are D-ref'd, the changes are there just fine.  So, obviously everything is working fine, but the data shortcut files aren't updating???

I know this isn't the most pressing issue because everything is working, but it's driving me crazy trying to wrap my head around the date thing.  A brief lay explanation would be most appreciated.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ccoles
in reply to: deltacoolguy

The data shortcut file is a simple file pointer. It does not contain any of the geometric data of the alignment. By using the data shortcut, it simply tells C3D which path and file the alignment is in and what name it is under. Unless any of this changed, the data shortcut file doesn't get updated. Under Civil 3D, once referenced in the drawing, it will go to that design file and pull the geometric information directly from the design file.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 3
deltacoolguy
in reply to: ccoles

@ccoles wrote:

The data shortcut file is a simple file pointer. It does not contain any of the geometric data of the alignment. By using the data shortcut, it simply tells C3D which path and file the alignment is in and what name it is under. Unless any of this changed, the data shortcut file doesn't get updated. Under Civil 3D, once referenced in the drawing, it will go to that design file and pull the geometric information directly from the design file.

Makes absolute perfect sense.  Thank you.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Ā 

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Ā