Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data referenced surfaces and alignments (lots of them). Need to MOVE THEM.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
doni49
209 Views, 2 Replies

Data referenced surfaces and alignments (lots of them). Need to MOVE THEM.

We have a HUGE number of data referenced surfaces and alignments that need to be moved to a different group of folders.  Is there a simple way to do this without breaking the references (each surface/alignment) is referenced into multiple drawings.

The project was divided up into a bunch of little mini projects so now we have 500150_A, 500150_B etc (around 90 of them).  Each one has a dwg file with a surface and at least one alignment and that drawing is data referenced to all the other sheets within that mini project.  Each project has _Shortcuts, drawings etc.

The powers-that-be have decided to 1) change the project number (from 500150 to 500152) and 2) to bring all these mini projects together into ONE project.

We've confirmed that each surface/alignment has a unique name which means that there shouldn't be a conflict in that regard.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mathewkol
in reply to: doni49

The tool that is used for this is the Data shortcuts Editor.  You can find it in the Windows Start menu under your Civil 3D appication.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2014/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-F926A63E-1BB1-4D76-A022-38CCE06D1723.htm

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 3
doni49
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks Matt!

It looks like that will allow me to move the references (source files). 

How do I move the shortcuts (from 500150_a\_shortcuts and 500150_b\\Drawings\_shortcuts to 500152\Drawings\_shortcuts) and have the files that reference them "know" the new location for the _shortcuts folder?

Can I copy the contents of all the various _shortcuts folders into this one new project _shortcuts folder?  And then I'd use this shortcut editor to point all the shortcuts to the dwg source files in their new locations?  Correct?

Lastly, I'd then use the following to point all our dwg files to the "new" combined project?

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCUG/empty_concept_41-198.htm

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report