Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Shortcuts and moving C3D projects to new server

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rkmcswain
1361 Views, 6 Replies

Data Shortcuts and moving C3D projects to new server

Does anyone have experience moving C3D projects to a new server, specifically regarding data shortcuts?

For example, current projects live in: \\server\share\xxx\proj_number\

Soon, that path will be \\A_new_server\\shareB\proj_number\design\

Upon internal inspection, the data shortcuts are storing the full path and a relative path. Based on our initial tests, C3D is resolving the path to the source drawing using the relative path, even though the "full path" stored in the data shortcut is invalid.

I don't think we will need to use the "Data ShortCuts Editor" to fix the paths as long as the relative directory structure remains intact.

If you have done this, comments welcome. Thanks!

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

The relative paths will work fine as long as the old path no longer exists.

Just make sure the old path cannot be resolved or you are opening a BIG can of worms.

Not sure, but I would assume you would get a little perfomance boost if the full paths were fixed since it appears that is where C3D looks to first find the definition file.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 7

Yes, the old path all the way back to the server name, will not exist.  IOW, the project(s) will be on "A" one day and "B" the next (at which time "A" will go away).

Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
nilesh33
in reply to: rkmcswain

There is option of datashortcut editor under start>>autodesk>>
It is same like x-ref manager in autocad.
This works fine for me, hope we do same for you.
Message 5 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rkmcswain

Wow glad to see thats working. I put a new server in here around August. I was very afraid to take those bold steps. I mapped the same path to the new server. Left all current and old projects in the old folder structure and began placing new projects in the new folder structure. Old files have no issue finding D'ref or x'refs. It is pretty cool to learn that the drefs resolve. You may still have xref issues if a user did not have relative path selected, no? This was another fear of mine. Users are pretty lax here at times with pathing and overlay vs attachment.  

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: nilesh33

@nilesh33 wrote:
There is option of datashortcut editor under start>>autodesk>>

As I mentioned, I don't want to have to do that for hundreds of projects.

And as I discovered and Mike R. confirmed, it looks like we won't have to.

Message 7 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@Anonymous wrote:

You may still have xref issues if a user did not have relative path selected, no? This was another fear of mine. Users are pretty lax here at times with pathing and overlay vs attachment.  

Ha... I've been preaching relative paths for years, knowing that someday it would become very important... 

Well, that day is getting near and everyone is scrambling to get their projects fixed...

Actually, the majority of our referenced files are in the same directory as the parent, so it shouldn't be that bad anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report