Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Shortcut Profile Discrepancy

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
matthewsheal83
1125 Views, 5 Replies

Data Shortcut Profile Discrepancy

I’ve come across an issue related to data shortcutted profile objects in Civil 3D 2011 that I have no solution for or even an identified problem and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and hopefully a solution.

I’m thinking the problem more exists in the workflow used (attached sketch). 

The problem occurs when I data shortcut a profile object into a corridor model drawing to use as a reference (refer to attached sketch for structure).  The profile object will appear one way in the Profile drawing, but when I data shortcut the profile object into the Corridor drawing it changes and looks very much different from the original (see attached).

This is a serious problem because I am basing my design off of the bedrock profile, so if the profile object isn’t showing me the correct profile then I need to correct it.

I’m at a complete loss to rationalize how this is even happening in the system.  I thought that because I have multiple versions (in separate drawings) of the alignment that perhaps the profile objects were confused about which alignment they belonged to and my alignment was taking the wrong bedrock profile, but I inspected each of the profiles and the incorrect profiles do not exist anywhere else within my project.

If this is a problem with the workflow then you would expect it to occur in all the other profiles I have already created under the same structure, but all the previous versions are correct, it is only this specific alignment/profile that is having an issue.

If I data shortcut the bedrock surface directly into the corridor drawing and create a profile of it along the alignment then that profile is correct as well.

It was brought up by a colleague that maybe I had a crash and the file is corrupted, but would that physically change the data?  How could it be presented differently from the host??  It's all very bizzare.

The other attached image shows the profile source drawing on the left and the incorrect data referenced profiles on the right.

And the Diavik DSCs image shows my list of data shorcuts for the project.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
yaodi
in reply to: matthewsheal83

Matt,

Is there any drawing setting difference between profile source drawing and profile consumer drawing,  for example, the drawing unit, coordinate system and profile style. And does this issue happens for this profile only or also for other profiles in this project?

Thanks

-Anthony

Message 3 of 6
matthewsheal83
in reply to: yaodi

Hi Anthony,

Both the host and consumer drawing were created with the exact same .dwt file for Civil 3D styles and settings.  It also only happens with this profile, I have 4 other profiles in the project as data shortcuts and they operate exactly as they should.

Matt

Message 4 of 6
yaodi

Matt,

Is it possible to share the drawing that you mentioned? Maybe there is some specialy setting in the drawing, but we don't know, or this is an bug for Civil 3D. Thanks.

Anthony

Message 5 of 6
matthewsheal83
in reply to: yaodi

I'm afraid that I am unable to share the drawing, it's a active project and proprietary.  I know it's not really much to go on for troubleshooting, I was rather hoping someone had already had this problem and done the work for me of finding the solution 😉

Thanks though.

Message 6 of 6
annw2

I am having problems in 2011 with data shortcuts disappearing.

The profile problem is that the existing ground profile will not attach to the horizontal alignment.

Ann Wingert, P.E.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report