Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG SaveAs Options dialog

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jmayo-EE
232 Views, 5 Replies

DWG SaveAs Options dialog

Does anyone change this in your template to create a layer and spatial index to improve performance?

If you do what are the pros and cons?

I believe by default C3D does not save an index.

John Mayo

EESignature

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KirkNoonan
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Interesting question. We usually only resort to that if there are problems with an XREF'ed file. It usually takes longer to save (no suprise there). I've never tried it as a means of enhancing performance. It might be worth some experimentation.

Message 3 of 6
AllenJessup

John,

I used to. However since C3D doesn't allow a Partial Open I don't have that set any more. I've never studied if it makes a big difference when using Xrefs.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
jmayo-EE
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thanks for responding guys. I appreciate all the input. I am going to experiment with this a bit. I will follow up with any inmportant findings.

Allen,

Why did you use the feature in the past and what is the relationship with the partial open command?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
AllenJessup

Back in 2009 and before the Layer and Spatial indexes were used to do a partial open based on layer or location. I haven't worked with it for a while because Civil 3D doesn't allow a partial open. With all the dependencies between objects you can see why. I read the 2014 help on partial open and it now seems they're useful but may not be necessary.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
mathewkol

I've used this feature. It does make a difference to performance, but a weird thing can happen if you've xclipped the xref. Not all the layers will show in the layer manager because those objects are outside of the clip boundary (assuming no objects on that layer exist within the clip). Not a huge deal, but it's a little disconcerting.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report