Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTM into ACAD???

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tysonbird
1915 Views, 5 Replies

DTM into ACAD???

Local DOT has insisted i use their previously provided .dtm file after repeated requests for xml. I have tried using C3D's import options but recieve error stating only V7&8 are supported. Are there any options that existing to help me convert this to something useable?

I have provided a drop box link to the file in question.

Thanks in advance, should anyone be able to point me in the right direction.

http://db.tt/OUmq9lRE

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TerryDotson
in reply to: tysonbird

Welcome to the world of proprietary file formats.  Both Autodesk and Bentley play the game and everybody loses (especially the users).  In my opinion you will have to invest in Bentley software to use the .DTM file (isn't that the point behind proprietary formats, forced sales?).

Message 3 of 6
rkmcswain

@blotridge wrote:

Local DOT has insisted i use their previously provided .dtm file after repeated requests for xml.  

Why? Because they don't know how to provide the requested format, or they are just unwilling?

Who is working for who here?

Anything in your contract about file formats?

Was this problem not anticipated?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 6
mike.barkasi

There is a Low cost answer to your issue." PowerSurvey". This would provide translation and the PowerDraft platform is very much the same functionality as AutoCAD, and will generate "True" DWGs

Call Bentley for specifics.

The reality is however that depending on the project all the standards are most likely available on the DOTs website.

Proprietary formats are one thing, but Standardization is another. Everyone on here should conceed the need to keep standards. Also because of the duration and lifecycly of projects today, this is not the strength of a software company that changes formats every second or third year.

Regards

Mike Barkasi

Bentley Civil

Message 5 of 6
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I have found that very few users at our local DOT know what LandXML is.  Once I explain the usefullness of this format and explain that they can easily export their project data to this format, I usually receive the file in short order. Knowledge is power.  I don't know the picks and clicks in GeoPak, but they're there.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 6 of 6
Neilw_05

I converted your DTM to an XML file.How can I send it to you? Uncompressed file size is about 38 MB.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report