Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTM & ALG Files

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sswanson
9329 Views, 5 Replies

DTM & ALG Files

We have a job coming up where our client plans on sending us  .dtm  & .alg files to create a surface model using C3D 2013.

I am not sure what these files are but I  believe they maybe Micro Station or Inroad files.

My question is how do you use these in C3D 2013? Do I convert or import them , and if so how?

Or is there a better formant  more  compatible with C3D, that I should request from our clients?

Thank You

Steve Swanson

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
wfberry
in reply to: sswanson

Without knowing anything about the .alg file and the dtm file is probably different as well.  Hopefully they can send you a LandXML file (for the surface) which should be "non-denominational" and have the surface already built.

Bill

Message 3 of 6
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Steve .alg files belong to InRoads. That application has the ability to export to LandXML. As Bill said, if they export, you can import the surface as they intended it to be, keeping the liability (responsibility for it's creation) with them. Here's a good workflow provided by Wisconsin DOT. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/publications/fulltext/design/cae/TechNotes/IR-GeometrytoLandXML.pdf Although the workflow isn't for surfaces, I've received them in the past.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 6
Neilw_05

The DTM file is an Inroads surface model file. Unless there is a utility available somewhere you won't be able to use it as it is a proprietary format.

The ALG file is an Inroads alignment database.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 6
sswanson
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks to all of you for your help. Our client will be sending us a
LandXML file.

Thanks again

Steve Swanson
Message 6 of 6
esepolen
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

link no longer works

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report