Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DGN Import into Civil 3D 2013 Fails

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
EcosystemServices
3268 Views, 14 Replies

DGN Import into Civil 3D 2013 Fails

I need to import .dgn elevation data (DEM?) into Civil 3D.  When I attempt MAPIMPORT, DGNIMPORT, DGNATTACH, or from the "Insert" ribbon selecting "Import" and .dgn as the file type, Civil 3D will not respond and has to be closed and reopened.

The information likely includes surface and/or breakline information.  Please see the attached (change file format from .txt to .dgn).

Any insight would be much appreciated.

And if Civil 3D 2013 simply cannot import this information, does anyone know if the Infrastructure Design Suite/Civil3D 2014 can?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Jay_B
in reply to: EcosystemServices

Try one of these files, I opened attached file with Microstation V8i and created a dxf and dwg from the dgn.

Disclaimer: Verify the units and coordinates for accuracy as I didn't look into the file that deep.

Both files will import in to C3d 2012 here.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 15
EcosystemServices
in reply to: Jay_B

Thank you for converting the file, but I really need a permanent solution to why importing dgn files does not work.  This is just one of many files that is in this format that I need to import in order to build a surface.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Message 4 of 15

I have C3D 2013 and also Power Civil SS1 (v8i). I opened the DGN in Power Civil and examined it. The file was originally in v7 format but was updated in Microstation v8.5.2.27 as of 8/25/2009 by a user named karbogast at Analytical Surveys company. It contains 1373 elements on 4 used levels. There are a total of 64 levels and one model in the file. The elements in the file are 3D line strings and cells consisting of 2 line elements in the form of an X which obviously represent spot elevations.

I experienced the same behavior you reported when importing to C3D where C3D becomes unresponsive. I made a copy of the file and iteratively deleted elements and levels, attempting an import to C3D for each iteration. Finally I removed all elements and levels from the file but was not able to successfully import.

I recommend submitting this file to Autodesk support for analysis as you may have encountered a defect.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 15

NO success here either.  I'm using Infrastructure Design Suite Ultimate 2014.

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 15
Jay_B
in reply to: EcosystemServices

Tried it here using C3d 2012 SP3, C3d 2013 SP1, C3d 2014-no updates, and no luck with either.

Things tried:

Renamed the dgn to Test.dgn as file name was long and had some spec. characters.

Tried 0,1 & 2 for Setting Variable DGNIMPORTMODE.

Verified that the Setting Variable DGNMAPPINGPATH was looking at proper directory to locate DgnSetups.ini.

I agree with Neal, if you are on subscription I would definitely start a Support Request for this issue AFAIK the DGNIMPORT is broken and will not work. I would also reference this thread when submitting request.

A simple google search indicates it's not a new problem and may not be limited to just Civil 3d but other products as well, Here is one example related thread.

Please post back here what you learn from support for this issue.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 15
EcosystemServices
in reply to: Jay_B

Thank you all for your assistance.  I have submitted the issue to autodesk and referenced this thread.  I will update the group once I receive a reply.

Message 8 of 15

Has anyone resolved this issue yet?

I'm having the same problem.

Message 9 of 15
jezzell
in reply to: ParadigmAE

Has anyone corrected this problem!

Windows 7 x 64 Professional
Clevo Laptop
Nvidia Quadro M3000
24 GB DDR3
256GB SSD
Quad core i7-6700k @ 4.0 GHz
Civil 3D 2015 SP3
Civil 3D 2017
Message 10 of 15
ParadigmAE
in reply to: jezzell

Yes It's been solved.

Message 11 of 15
HansSMS
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I fortunately have access to Microstation, and export DWGs from there, this always works. The DGN import into AutoCAD has always been a bit dodgy, gave this up a long time ago. Sad to see it hasn't been fixed yet.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 12 of 15
jporter608
in reply to: ParadigmAE

so what's the solution?

I am having the same issue. When i try to import or reference a .dgn file into a .dwg, it does not come in at real world coordinates. But when I export the .dgn file to a .dwg, then reference in the the new .dwg file, it comes in at real world coordinates. However, converting the .dgn to a .dwg significantly compromises work flow when the .dgn is constently being updated.

Message 13 of 15

How has this been solved?

Message 14 of 15

Any further info on the solution to this problem?  Having same problem with 2015 (large .dgn file though, 400mb+, maybe I'm just not wating long enough...15-20 mins)

Thanks,

David E. Henderhan, PLS
Civil 3D 2023
Dell Precision 3660 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel (R) RTX A2000
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 2.10 GHz
128 GB ram
Message 15 of 15

The latest information I was provided by autodesk was that it was a known issue with some .dgn files.  It likely has to do with the version of microstation the dgn was created with, i.e. earlier versions are not currently supported with the dgnimport command.  Apparently the earlier dgn versions can be imported using Civil 3D 2011 although I have not tested this.

I was able to use ArcGIS to convert the linework to a usable format for itegration with Civil 3D.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report