AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor
yee-fan
Message 1 of 3 (151 Views)

Cut/Fill Feature Line Dref?

151 Views, 2 Replies
11-22-2013 05:26 PM

C3D 2013

I am trying to figure out a way to get the cut and fill lines on my sheet files to dynamically update when I update my corridor.

My work flow:

Currently I have a model drawing with my corridor, which produces cut and fill feature lines.

I create a separate reference file with drefs, and then paste in cut and fill polylines (where I created from the feature lines).

Finally, I have sheet files where I xref in the reference file.

Is there a better way to deal with these cut and fill lines so they are dynamic when I change my corridor?  I don't really want to xref in my model drawing just because it has all sorts of things in there..

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 2 of 3 (138 Views)

Re: Cut/Fill Feature Line Dref?

11-22-2013 07:17 PM in reply to: yee-fan
It sounds like a similar workflow to ours. We don't attach the corridor file to the plan production sheets and maintain a static, non-dynamic simple cad linework file for the geometrics.
The Daylight polylines derived from the corridor files become a part of our Construction Limits which are copied/pasted into this file.
The benefit is a much smaller file (reducing plotting time) and we almost always have utility trenches etc. that we show limits for.
In the end ours are in one base file which represents more the entire disturbed area than just the slope daylights.
Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
mikeevans
Message 3 of 3 (108 Views)

Re: Cut/Fill Feature Line Dref?

11-23-2013 08:07 AM in reply to: yee-fan
This is exactly what I do. Although it takes a bit of time to extract the lineart and transfer to the 2d model. Benefit is that it remains static and editable by any autocad user without the need for plugins.

Does xref ding the model, clipping and turning all but the feature lines (assuming it's layered you can do this easily) really slow plotting down?

I have considered doing this instead. We could do with a dref for corridors. Adsk: "PLEASE CAN WE HAVE A DREF FACILITY FOR CORRIDORS"
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2013 / 2014 British UK
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs